• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct bumper number format?

Jesse6325

I was just wondering if anyone would know the correct bumper number format for the 169'th engineers batallion for 1969/70
That was when My dad was in Vietam and Okanawa and I was wanting to put the correct numbers on the Deuce before I registered it.
He told me that the jeep he drove had 169 ENG on the passengers side and B 0 on the drivers side.
We've already looked through some of his slides but no Deuces yet,,
Thanks!

fasttruck

The bumper number on a deuce would be displayed, on the driver's side in 3" stencil, in RVN the bumper would be the native green and the numbers painted in white. The unit owning the vehicle had their designation also in white on the passenger's side. Facing the rear the unit id was on the left bumpertette and the bumper number on the right. Dump trucks typically used the tailgate as there were no bumperettes and a tractor it was all the the toolbox facing the rear.

Jesse6325

Thank you Fasttruck, Still not sure what exactly I am going to do and in which order.
Thinking about just putting the numbers I want in black on white to get it legal and then doing it correctly when I start the bodywork.
Wanting to get it mecanically sound first then start making her look nice.
Dad and I talked about tonight and he agrees that it doesn't make much sense to have a pretty OD green bumper when the rest of the truck is,,, shall we say,,, a bit frayed around the edges?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will find the BUMPER NUMBER specs in this TM:

43-0209.pdf
To find it, click on this link (Or visit the RESOURCES TAB at the top of each SS WebPage)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-tms/
(scroll down toward the bottom to find a link to that TM.)

The Bumper Number descriptive begins on page 8 of 407.

There are FOUR distict designators with specific locations and purposes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

rlwm211

43-0147 is availablle at JATONKA snd dates to 1975.

The 43-0209 is from 1990.

I would believe that the older manual would have the correct information for your VietNam era numbering you are looking for.

Just my two cents

Edit additional information:

Here is a link to a page that has some illustrations of numbers and from different eras.

Hope this helps.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_markings.php

This is information taken from the 1965 manual specifically about these designations

http://www.m38a1.com/Resources/color_markings.htm

Last edited: