• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Loctation for M37 Large Door Star??

70deuce

As I sanded away the the blue paint a fire department sprayed over the old OD the door stars appeared. They are both in different locations in reference to the vertical and horizontal center lines of the door. One is closer to the top of the door than the other and one is closer to the front edge of the door than the other, both by close to 2 inches in difference. Should the stars be centered on the door?? Can't find the specs for star and lettering locations.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

From the factory they should be pretty centered. Chances are your looking at a repaint to where some GI was ready for his weekend pass then worrying about a star being 2" off center.

Jimma

Get magnetic stars then you can move them, remove them or adjust them. I got them for my deuce and they were cheaper than stencils. They look great.

vtdeucedriver

It should also be noted that the M37 B1 would have only a 6" star on the cab side above the slave receptacle as the spare tire would cover a star on the door.

zout

The frame below the window - take two strings - take the upper left corner down to the lower left and tape the string corners - then take the upper left corner down to the lower right corner - tape them ends. There you will see center of the door (middle of the strings where they X)

Take One more string and measure from left side down and find center - then do the same to the right side - run another string and there you can set up a paint on stencil as your lines are there.

Bill W

Also take note in Steels attachment that the hood star should be far enough forward on the hood that it can still be clearly seen with the windshield folded down

Last edited:

nattieleather

Stars and unit markings were not put on at the factory. They were put on at the unit level. So,, yes the 18 or 19 year old Private who was given the task to put the stars on really didn't care how close he got it as long as it was close enough so he wouldn't get yelled at. :D :grd:

70deuce

Bruce, is your yellow weight classification about 6 inches in diameter? That's what I found mine to be on the door. Mine has the stencil gap in the #4 as shown on the attached picture. One of these days my paint will look like yours hopefully. Still a ways off.

Phil

Attachments

Oldfart

When I was checking on the Marine vehicle marking practice, I found there was a period where the Marines required the stencil gaps be hand painted to complete the letters and numbers. I don't know if similar instructions were issued for other branches.

steelandcanvas

When I was checking on the Marine vehicle marking practice, I found there was a period where the Marines required the stencil gaps be hand painted to complete the letters and numbers. I don't know if similar instructions were issued for other branches.
In all the motorpools I was assigned to, I never saw the Army make this a requirement. (I think we had better things to do)

Oldfart

In all the motorpools I was assigned to, I never saw the Army make this a requirement. (I think we had better things to do)
This is not current practice with Marine vehicle markings and I don't think it was in the Vietnam period either.

I wonder what period saw the M37 bridge weight be painted on the door. I bought my M37 in 1963 which is when I started to pay attention to such things. I don't recall seeing any permanent bridge weights painted on doors at that time. In fact, I don't recall bridge plates on smaller vehicles either. Maybe bridge weight on lighter vehicles became the practice during Vietnam.. Don't know, just wondering out loud.......

steelandcanvas

I wonder what period saw the M37 bridge weight be painted on the door. I bought my M37 in 1963 which is when I started to pay attention to such things....
1963 may have been a little early for the painted on bridge weights. I remember seeing it in the late 60's, maybe early 70's. Some of the Deuces at my first duty station, had the bridge weights painted on the doors, and that was in 1974. I believe it started sometime during the Vietnam Conflict. Maybe someone will clear this issue up.

M-37Bruce

Smoke & Mirrors

Bruce, is your yellow weight classification about 6 inches in diameter? That's what I found mine to be on the door. Mine has the stencil gap in the #4 as shown on the attached picture. One of these days my paint will look like yours hopefully. Still a ways off.

Phil
Thanks for the complement Phil, but it's still a ten foot paint job. I use the hardener, tougher finish, if I'm not careful, it will have the "Orange Peel" look. My bed is off, (& Apart) right now, and no permanent wiring yet.
BTW, My door weight plate is a 3M decal from Rick Larsen.
I need to get busy!

majorhitt

The way I got my M37 the stars and bridge plate were painted over. The star was 24 in. down from the top of the door to the horizontal top of the star ( that's if I remember correctly). If you look close you can see the bridge plate in the top right corner, still under a coat of paint. Also. the star on the hood ( the way I got the M37 ) was towards the front to allow for when the windshield was lowered to still have a full star.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks