• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct M1009 Fr. Left U-joint?

grayw0lf

Can anyone tell me what is the correct Front Left U-joint (at the steering knuckle) for a 85 M1009?

The ones at the parts stores all seem about 3/16" or 1/8" too long.

The ears do not appear bent...?

I tried the FAQ's, but didn't see it there. The Search feature seems to be having difficiulties too, though that could be just my computer.

Thank You,

John O>.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you would download the parts manuals, you will have 99% of all the GM part numbers you will ever need.

Then the parts store can cross reference them.

From the TM 9-2320-289-34p manual, Figure 97, Item #10, the part number is 5-297X

Then I plugged it into the NAPA parts interchange and it came up with this number:

NPJ P371 - $13.26

Last edited:

grayw0lf

The TM cross references to a 5-297x. That means I bend the ears trying to get the old one out. A 6-ton press wouldn't budge it the slightest bit (yes, the clips were out).

What to do next? Try to gently bend the ears back out, or look for used...?

DokWatson

You are doing it wrong. You don't bend anything and you don't need a press.. Kind of hard to explain without pictures. Put the u-joint so it sits on top of both vise jaws, and smack the base of the axle shaft ears with a hammer. The only thing that should be moving is the shaft, the u-joint stays supported by the vise. You can't press a u-joint out if the u-joint can't go anywhere...

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
if you bent the ears of the axle.. its done. Even if you think you get them back in the correct place... time to take it to the local auto shop and have them fix it.

OLDCHEV4X4

Soak it with PB Blaster.
Usually when i get a real tight one, I get the press operation tight, then hit the ear with a hammer right next to the u joint cap. The shock will loosen it.
No need to bend anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks