• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct nuts and bolts -M38a1

Lindsaym151

Heall.
Im looking for a bulk supplier for original nuts & bolts for a resto.Iv'seen some that have the brassey color to them .Where would i locate them?
As always any help is appreciated
Lindsay

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's real difficult.

Two issues-one, you have to find the right fastener itself, the size, thread pitch and head markings. Then, if you get lucky enough to find all that, you have to find it in the correct finish, like phosphate, cadmium or zinc.

Some hardware has been in use for 50+ years and it still available new, from the people who make it for the manufacturers, Auveco. See: http://www.auveco.com/

If you can't find what you need through them, then you'll need to source the correct components from your vehicle, parts donors or the junkyard, then send them to a refinisher and have them replated. That's what I've always done. Took the car apart, photographed and inventoried everything, then bagged it all together by finish and sent it to the refinisher that way.

Dodge man

I have a local ACE hardware that carries a huge selection of fasteners and related items. Yesterday I found that they carry new, (cadnium plated?) brass colored bolts. I bought two 3/8" x 1" hex heads and they're grade 8 and not the soft crap that HD and others carry. Find a large ACE and check them out!

jeeplvr247

Oh how I envy people that have their Jeeps so nice that they worry about the historic accuracy of their nuts and bolts. One day, one day that will be me. That is if the MV hobby does not drive me into bankruptcy first.

quickfarms

Getting the correct size, grade and finish is not that hard. Any commercial fastener company either has them or can order them by the box, I have had good luck with McMaster Carr. The correct head stamp on the other hand can be impossible.

The hash marks on the head indicate the hardness. HD bolts without hash marks are ungraded junk. Most military bolts either are grade 5 or 8. I would caution against changing the grade of the bolt from what was originally used. Years ago there was an issue with F14 canopies departing the plane in flight. The problem was tracked down to grade 8 bolt being used where a grade 5 was specified.

jime

Speaking of bolts, what kind (length and size) hold on the bumperettes? How about the black out light bracket? I'm cleaning her up for the Independence Day parade and hauling the war heros.

Also, any ideas on paint for the parts I'm putting on? I guess I could get a small amount mixed at lowes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks