• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct screws?

pwrwagonfire

I am getting my gas tank back from being restored and coated tomorrow...I have a new fuel pickup and sending unit and gaskets in a box right next to me.

I realize this is PROBABLY a dumb question...but can some kind soul tell me what the correct screws are to attach these pieces to the tank? I searched through my manuals today and couldn't find the spec...may have been right under my nose!

Thanks ahead of time for the responses! I hope to get this installed tomorrow...

MatthewH

Are you talking the screws that bolt the fuel pickup plate/tube and the sending unit into the tank?
They are 10-32 machine screws. I used 1 inchers, but I think 3/4 was original length. Not sure, but they were too short for my new gasket, so I had to bump up to 1in. Use the panhead style with the allen wrench, the original phillips head ones tend to strip out easy, but thats my 2 pennies

Hope this helps

Matt

mikey

If you're referring to the screws for the in tank pump, I used 10-32 x 1/2 screws, however, 3/4 or 1" couldn't hurt. Also, get star washers for a good ground connection.

TGP (IL)

The sending unit srews are 10-32x1/2 3/4" works
The vent plate screws are 12-24
also a "lead" washer is used for sealing which can be hard to find
Tom

WarrenD

I would hope that you are using new ethanol resistant hoses for the fuel fill and vent lines?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom
I used little rubber washers, couldn't find the "lead" ones.:beer:

MatthewH

Tom
Interesting, my tank must be a little different. The new NOS tank I am installing uses 10-32 all the way around and just steel flat washers/lock washers. And unlike the original tank, it doesn't use a tap ring, but has these screw pockets soldered in place. Handy for sealing, until the solder joint fails and the socket spins. Ended up having to resolder all the pockets, as all the joints were cracked.
It was a generator tank of some kind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks