• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct tire size? Tire options?

Aswayze

My 882 sort of has a variety pack of tires and rims (16 and 16.5) on it, surely a great combo on a full time 4wd vehicle to be sure.

Anyone care to enlighten a fella as to what the correct size tires are on these things?

I am assuming 9.50 16.5 LT but figured I'd make extra sure before I start spending money.

Aswayze

Hmmm....Ok that what I figured...

So who out there is running to original tire size? What did you end up getting and how do you feel about them?

MatthewH

If you can get ahold of a set of 16in rims, 235/85/R16 are darn close to the original size. I have a set of Coopar Discoverer ATR's load range E I am currently running on my M887 and am pretty happy with.

Depending on your local tire shop, you can still get 9.50x16.5 tires in a couple of tread patterns, but they are pricey. Check with a company called Specialty Tires of America, or STA, they offer tires in the old school treads and sizes

Hope this helps, 16.5 tires are out there, you just have to find a tire shop that dosen't mind doing some searching.

Wolf.Dose

Correct, 235/85R16 LRE is the complemtentary size. Or 7.50 R16 LRE will do it. Normally anything up to 9.00R16 or 255/100R16 or 265/80R16 or 255/80 R16 should fit as well. 16.5 inch rims are outdated, however, there are still some sices available, however they will not fit on the rim very well (33x12,50R16.5, 35x12.50R16.5). The other sizes are definately to large or you need wider rims.
Wolf

steelandcanvas

If you can get ahold of a set of 16in rims, 235/85/R16 are darn close to the original size. I have a set of Coopar Discoverer ATR's load range E I am currently running on my M887 and am pretty happy with...
Correct, 235/85R16 LRE is the complemtentary size. Or 7.50 R16 LRE will do it. Normally anything up to 9.00R16 or 255/100R16 or 265/80R16 or 255/80 R16 should fit as well...
Wolf
Thanks Matt & Wolf for providing the replacement tire size for the 16.5" rim. Looks like a trip to the local "bone yard" to scrounge around for some 16" rims.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Matt & Wolf for providing the replacement tire size for the 16.5" rim. Looks like a trip to the local "bone yard" to scrounge around for some 16" rims.
Be aware that most newer 16" rims (such as those on a CUCV) will not fit over the rear hub on a M880.

MatthewH

Be aware that most newer 16" rims (such as those on a CUCV) will not fit over the rear hub on a M880.
Some Chevy rims will fit, all depends on the axle setup from the factory. CUCV rims should fit because of the Dana 60 front axle, but some do and some don't, it tends to be a crap shoot.

Find Dodge or Ford wheels, as both manufactures used Dana axles regularly on there 3/4 and 1ton trucks.

busbart

Chevy rims (cuvc ones) DON'T fit unless you enlarge the rear hole on a lathe!

i got a couple of Ford rims, and they fit, they have only the large stud holes, but you have special nuts to fix that problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks