• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Corrosion Control Cart

Zed254

I bought this corrosion control cart (http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/S...r,sort|ad+desc,mf|1&rr=0.5&hitprm=&pnLink=yes) and am having difficulty finding any TMs, Operating Instructions, or Maintenance Information. It has a messed up front axle / grease seal that NAPA could not find a match for. If anyone has any info on this animal I sure would appreciate your knowledge.

My specific problem is the grease seal on the front wheel. Navy Operators lost the axle sleeve when re-assembling the unit for sale. No axle sleeve allowed the axle to bend the metal seal and then flop around on it (5/8" axle with a 1" bearing). I can find no numbers except the opposite side seal has 11009 stamped on it. Again, NAPA could not match the number.

Images show the cart and the front wheel (good side). The last image is the messed up seal, the 2 '0' rings, the inner metal portion of the seal, and the bearing.

Corrosion Cart NSN 4920-00-930-1801
NAVAIR Drawing 65A102-J1-1

Thanks much,

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Underneath the GovPlanet sticker, should be the data plate that tells you what the manual is. If possible, give the exact dimensions of the bearing/race/parts/doodads. I'll dig thru my pile and see what I've got.

NATCAD

My not replace with a sealed bearing - take the wheel to a machine shop? Or replace the whole wheel with a type that has sealed bearing type.
I see boatman has given you the correct bearing number. Man I'm impressed with the signal:noise here.

Zed254

Sticker covered operating directions, could not find any TM reference. Dimensions of seals follow:

Larger (damaged) metal seal: 2-5/16" OD x 1-7/16" ID

Smaller (reusable) metal seal: 1-7/16" OD to edge of slight flare x 1" ID. The working OD - where '0' ring sits - is 1-11/32"

Attachments

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a bunch of Googling and I found a reference to NAVAIR 19-20D1 being the illustrated parts breakdown for the unit.
Couldn't actually find the document online though.

Zed254

This is the (damaged) metal seal I am looking for: 2-7/16" OD x 1-7/16" ID. It is part of a seal that contains 2 "O" rings and 2 metal seals. Outer edge is 17/64" thick, inner edge where O ring rides has a thickness of ~3/16".

Progress: A number from one of the good wheels: APS-16-T-08CM shows Preece Acquisition Company as supplier. They have a subsidiary called Aerol Inc. An NSN catalog site listed all of the NSN's that Preece/Aerol has supplied. I searched there on the good seal number I had - 11009 - and the item popped up. I am looking for....

11009 Retainer, Oil Seal. NSN 5330-01-220-1930.

Still no commercial cross reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zed254

One of the NSN resellers found my part and it will only cost me $125/each. This for an Oil Seal Retainer.

I just ordered a National 470503 seal from Advance Auto. Dimensions are the same as my messed up Oil Seal Retainer but metal shape is a wee bit different such that it will not support an O ring seal. I hope the rubber seal will fit the O ring groove on the mating seal part. We shall see......
FAIL: Seal OD too small and too thick.

2: Order National 481834 from RockAuto for ~$7.5. Again, we shall see.....
FAIL: Seal depth too shallow for application but diameter looks good. I'm done searching for seals: I'll just buy another cart for parts!!!

New price data: This site says .... The historical pricing we currently show is between $10.47 - $16.23. Much more realistic!!
https://aerobasegroup.com/part-number/11009_01-220-1930

WRONG!!! Quote follows........
Line Part Requested Part Quoted Qty Unit Price Line Total
1. 11009
Qty: 1.00
1.00 $425.00 $425.00
Seal Retainer | CD: NS
Certs: COMPANY COC
Lead Time: 4-7 DAYS OR LESS
NSN: 5330-01-220-1930

Last edited:

robson1015

How much for the Advance auto part each ??? These parts venders are insane....I had a similar issue with a frequency cable for my 803A. One vendor wanted $450 for a $70 throttle cable.

Zed254

Advance price for the seal I bought is $9. The cart only cost me ~$30 loaded into my truck, so if the National Seal does not work I'll just slink around until I can buy another cart. In April some went for bids of $5 and $10. Like Quckfarms said, they make nice yard carts......

Zed254

Once I figure out which seal I need for my front wheel my Diesel Fuel Cart will be finished.

I thought I could make an easy in / easy out fuel cart for my pick up truck. I have a 50 gallon MRAP tank that's not too heavy and was figuring similar weight for this beast. I was thinking to roll it in empty, roll it off full where ever I was setting up my generator. There was an obvious error in my plan: this is a 16" diameter pressure vessel: as in (I'm guessing) Sched 40 pipe and it has an extra vessel head inside creating 2 vessels. One vessel is 26 gallon and one is 7 gallon for a total capacity of 33 gallons. I plan to use it with my MEP-802A. It rolls around pretty well, but I won't be manually pushing it into the bed of my pickup without some help. It's pretty heavy.

So there it is. I'll put some more white paint on it (and my driveway) when it stops raining. I've just put 2 or 3 gallons of diesel into it and I'm waiting for that union to start leaking. Hope not, but ....

Thanks to all who tried to help me with my wheel seal problem. I'm getting pretty close on that: 2nd seal is on the way. Seems I had trouble reading my ruler for the first seal....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks