cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)

92ramaro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured this is a relevant addition to this old thread.
I came out basically at 5 grand so far. And still want to paint it someday.

-I didn't list any necessary fluids that were bought or obtained so I'm probably off by a few hundred bucks or so.

Attachments

PoppaSmurph

Well to chime in, last Sept. I found my 1952 studabaker with a running 331 Golden Comet, paid 800 for mine, a clean 1 owner (not) , 250 to transport her home, replaced master cylinder (150) , then find the last owner had blown the final rear end. So a bobber kit, new 265 tires , complete brake rebuild....list goes on but I'm not counting any more. I love her to much.20191020_174047.jpg20200401_182959.jpg

Dipstick

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently spent a small amount of money on two new wiper blades for my Deuce. The shipping and tax alone cost more than the parts. They more than doubled the final price of the wiper blades. I also ordered two new windshields for my truck. I saved $100 on the total cost of the windows by selecting the supplier who uses UPS as a shipper rather than the supplier who uses FedEx. The surprising thing is, that the company I bought the windows from is probably 1,500 miles farther from my home than the company using FedEx. Part of the cost of owning a Deuce is not just what you spent on the parts, but also the taxes and shipping cost those parts incurred.

teletech

I recently spent a small amount of money on two new wiper blades for my Deuce. The shipping and tax alone cost more than the parts. They more than doubled the final price of the wiper blades. I also ordered two new windshields for my truck. I saved $100 on the total cost of the windows by selecting the supplier who uses UPS as a shipper rather than the supplier who uses FedEx. The surprising thing is, that the company I bought the windows from is probably 1,500 miles farther from my home than the company using FedEx. Part of the cost of owning a Deuce is not just what you spent on the parts, but also the taxes and shipping cost those parts incurred.
This is so true. Of course if you think deuce parts shipping is expensive, I bought a Ferret recently and have been shipping parts in from all over the former British empire! The weird thing is sometimes the shipping is actually a lot less than shipping IN the US would have been!

Dipstick

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is so true. Of course if you think deuce parts shipping is expensive, I bought a Ferret recently and have been shipping parts in from all over the former British empire! The weird thing is sometimes the shipping is actually a lot less than shipping IN the US would have been!
That is weird, but I can believe it!

teletech

That is weird, but I can believe it!
I had a hood for my Datsun 1200 shipped from Greece and it only cost me about $100! It cost me more than that to ship a 5lb valence that was 5' long but only 6"x6" from CA to NY. International shipping does often have weird treaty stuff rolled into it, part of why you can buy something shipped from China that even with postage you couldn't mail to to your neighbor for less than what you paid for the thing plus postage. It might be something to look at at the federal level. That said, I *very* much appreciate the work of the Post Office in the US and the other postal services from around the globe for bringing me parts from all over the world to keep my vehicular projects moving forward.

Dipstick

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a hood for my Datsun 1200 shipped from Greece and it only cost me about $100! It cost me more than that to ship a 5lb valence that was 5' long but only 6"x6" from CA to NY. International shipping does often have weird treaty stuff rolled into it, part of why you can buy something shipped from China that even with postage you couldn't mail to to your neighbor for less than what you paid for the thing plus postage. It might be something to look at at the federal level. That said, I *very* much appreciate the work of the Post Office in the US and the other postal services from around the globe for bringing me parts from all over the world to keep my vehicular projects moving forward.
Datsun 1200! Cool! A 510 was the rice burner hot rod. I used to own a 1974 Datsun "Little Hustler" pickup. It would easily haul more weight than my 1980 Dodge 1/2 ton. Real bouncy though. That little 4 banger used to rev like an F1 engine. I bought some flap wheels for my angle grinder from China recently. Great price, okay quality, took two months or so to get them! Nobody make wheels for my small spindle Makita angle grinder anymore.

teletech

Amazon non-union electric truck aircraft shipping is going to kill the other shippers.
Here we get into danger of getting a slap from moderators regarding political discussion, though I think there is a good argument for this being OK in the "politics on MV hobby" category.
I'll say that if you want an alternative to non-union shipping and to keep parts shipping feasible in general, call up your congress critter and insist they fully-fund the post office.

frank8003

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oops, sorry. Didn't even think of politics. I was thinking of 100,000 new electric trucks on the road and what that means to shipping costs to all of us. I priority mail a lot of things USPS all over our place as it is a deal.
The real cost of a Deuce can be zero if one pays ones self a hundred an hour for the fun of owning driving a unique antique.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks