• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cost of sandblasting?

BillIdaho

I think this is where I should put this.
I just fell into an M116A2 trailer rather comfortably, and a frame off resto is in order. It is in dire need of a baptism under sand.
I have never had anything of this size sandblasted. How much can I expect to pay for the bed to be attacked (both top and underneath? The frame will probably need some love as well.

Ya know now that I think about it, pretty well the whole darn thing is going to need blasted.

I have already found a couple of MEP units to put back on. I got the bows and a good tarp, too. I figure if I am going to restore it, I may as well do it right.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I paid $250.00 to have the bed of a M105 taken down to bare metal.

Well worth it. I had paint that required no primer, just shot it on and it turned out very well.

If the target needs welding/patching it is the best time to do it while it is bare metal.

Sorry, no pics.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $100 to take a M416 bed and frame to bare metal, but that was 12 years ago. It was also the only time I ever had sandblasting done, so I don't have much to go on. Most times I sand it myself and spray over metal.

Floyd

Hey Bill: I would do the yellow pages or on line check for the Boise area. Give them a call and ask direct. You might even find someone in Nampa, who knows.

Good luck.

Floyd

BillIdaho

Thanks for the replies, gents. I actually have two guys within about 3 miles from my house. Just like car dealers, some people swear by them and some people swear at them.
I wanted an idea of how expensive it was going to be BEFORE I walked into the storm. I might wire -wheel the majority of the thing before I show them the thing.

Nonotagain

Thanks for the replies, gents. I actually have two guys within about 3 miles from my house. Just like car dealers, some people swear by them and some people swear at them.
I wanted an idea of how expensive it was going to be BEFORE I walked into the storm. I might wire -wheel the majority of the thing before I show them the thing.
The M116a2 is the chassis not the box trailer, but you knew that.

If you decide to wire wheel any of the paint on the trailer, make sure that you at least wear a particle mask that seals to your face.

From the experiences that I have with aerospace parts that require painting after being stripped, stay away from plastic media blasting as it imbeds the media into the surface.

In the Baltimore MD area, you can expect to pay between $250-350 for the chassis and the bed.

You would be better off removing the bed from the chassis and having each part blasted at different times that way if your not happy with their work you can find another location to finish the other part. As a plus, this will give you the chance to completely coat the frame before the bed goes back on.

WPNS421

Have you ever thought about doing it yourself. I have a big compressor but when I sandblast I go to an equipment rental store and I rent a small compressor w/sandblaster. We pay about $70.00 @ day you buy the media at the cheapest place. If you have the place this is the best way to go and as Nonotagain said remove the bed and do each unit separately, that way you have only 1 part to work on and not the whole unit. Easier to start and finish each section separately. The rental stores will have complete units to sandblast, don't forget the water seperator.

paulfarber

I think most places simply guesstimate the time and charge accordingly.

I got a quote for a CCKW frame (cab/frame/running gear) of $350. Once I pulled up it went to over $500 even though it was almost the exact same size as a box truck sitting there he said he charges $350 for. :(

I do all my own blasting now (even CCKW frames) so I can take the time and get the parts off that need taken off and get the nooks and crannies, make repairs etc. Its not hard, but what do you have??? Time or money?

Black beauty is probably the cheapest media and my frame has 3+ coats of pain in some areas... not any more!

Nonotagain

any health/environmetal concerns with doing your own sandblasting?
Yes there are.

The primer used on military vehicles until recently contained chromium and lead. The CARC topcoat while in liquid form is toxic, in cured form does not present that much of a danger, though and heavy metals contained in the sanding dust if inhaled into your lungs are not a good thing.

Wear a tight fitting dust mask, wash contaminated clothing separate from other household items and don't eat, drink , or smoke until you wash your hands with soap and water.

Most folks that I know that perform their own large scale blasting projects outdoors cover the ground with a large tarp and vacuum up the blast media for reuse.

Scarecrow1

I know that most paint and primers on MV,s and trailers are very toxic. Lead is almost always present and other toxics too. I would wear a tyvek suit and mask, spread plastic to recover any paint and primer so not to contaminate your yard and properly dispose of when done. I would not try to reuse any clothing or plastic from the project. When you think of the health risk involved it makes paying someone else sound more like a deal.

LHPopper

any health/environmetal concerns with doing your own sandblasting?
When sandblasting, the sand breaks down some and creates a dust that can harm the lungs over a period of time. There is a term for this but cannot recall. Be safe and wear a simple mask over the mouth. I always wear a blasting head cover also. That sand can really sting.

6x6guy

Been doing it for awhile, I own a large compressor or you can rent one from any rental shop with a sand blaster, invest into a protective mask and coveralls and a good mask and stay up wind, oh yea place a tarp under your work area to reuse your blasting material, It can save you a lot of money- it cost about $10 for a bag of material- it used to cost about $3.
Do a section at a time and using the same material through a screen and dis-guard the big
stuff. The trick is to do a couple of projects at the same time, and get a friend or 2 to get
their items that need blasting and share the cost of rental of equipment and material. :roll:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost here is $65 per hour, I had a M37 frame down to the metal for $140, the POR 15 really soaked into the semi rough finish on the frame, well worth the cost.
James

GoHot229

Yes, your going to contaminate the area around your sandblasting with both the sand and the paint/rust or fillers etc. If you can do it on asphault or concrete, all the better, then you can sweep up all the sand and dispose of it at a landfill. I sandblasted for a while as a job, and its fairly easy, its just that it takes time to do a good job and pay attention to metal thickness and all the areas where you could damage something. And the media is not as cheap as it once was. Iimagine you can expect to pat about $10 + dollars for the media, ie 94 lb. bags of silica # 35, more for walnut or plastic. Typically, for what your suggesting blasting, I would use ( grade # 35 sand/silica ) and probably expect to use 4 or 6 bags. If you do have a place (asphault or concrete slab) then you can sweep the sand up and reuse it a couple times.....BUT.... DO NOT get it wet or damp (sand) or it will not feed through the hose worth beans. If you can get it for under $300, consider it a fair deal. Time to also hit your wheels. A word of caution though......it gets in everything...every crevice or hollow, and vent. So duct tape up all the things you dont want it getting into ie. the axle vents, the seals, the brakes, just whatever it can blow into ...it will.... Tarps come in handy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks