• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could an NHC-250 be made to run on nat gas/diesel combo?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Natural gas and gasoline conversions work well because they both can be done with fairly low (and similar) compression ratios. With a diesel you are talking in the range of twice the pressure, and I'm not sure how NG would do under those circumstances. Planning on doing the mix on the air intake side, or trying to use injectors?

TexAndy

I don't know. I'd only ever heard that it was being done to some diesel engines.

What I was thinking of... will the natural gas change the readiness of the diesel to ignite under pressure? IE, could it retard combustion? Or would it advance combustion? Or no change at all?

If there's no change in combustion timing at all, is there an issue with the natural gas only combusting because the diesel "sparked" it? Or would they be so thoroughly mixed as to make no difference?

I am not an engine mechanic by any stretch of the imagination... hence the questions.

phil2968

The Cat engines that run on CNG, compressed natural gas, are that only. They may be built from the same engine as the diesel but they have lower compression ratios and a spark ignition. Designed for stationary use and hooked up to a CNG line.
As to your question, propane has been used a lot on diesel engines for added power.

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the engine will operate on natural gas and diesel. Yes AND diesel. The compression ignition of the diesel fuel is required to ignite the gas. Bottom line is that the pump has to be modified to defuel down to roughly 10% when the gas comes on line. Throttling is via control of gas admitted to the intake, and it is easy to burn one doing this. My company did a lot of research with International in the 80's on this. Works but requires significant fuel system changes. I do know of people that have just let the diesel return to idle and admitted natural gas through an aux metering system. Some of the pulling boys use propane the same way.

Hope this helps with the question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks