• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could running out of fuel kill the fuel pump?

firecontrol86

Here's the scenario, I was running pretty close to empty(checking a full tank MPG) but I think my guage is a little off. Started this morning ran for about 30 sec and then died. I chocked it up to out of fuel. Put fuel in, 5 gallons, tried to crank but no fire up, just cranking over. Tried to bleed the fuel filter, thinking that I had run the system dry but I can't even get fuel to the filter.

I followed the TM way to bleed the filter: 15 sec crank, 1 min cooldown. Tried that for AT LEAST 30 min. Good charge on the batteries, cranking sounded normal. After checking a few threads started checking other things: voltage at IP, normal; took off oil fill tube, gear spinning; no visible leaks anywhere I could find on the fuel system?

Is it worth just picking up a new fuel pump and hoping all the work to get it in does the trick? I don't want to kill my batteries or my starter, any helpful suggestions appriciated. Thanks

Jake

stampy

+1 on a electric fuel pump for saving the batteries. Losing prime (just from changing the filter) can often be hard on the batteries and starter. Why not just put an inline electric or boat type fuel bulb. Since you have pulled air into the entire fuel sytem you need to put about 5 gal in an then prime with either above. I would pout the pump after the mechanical pump but before the filter.

firecontrol86

I've never messed around with fuel systems, how expensive(1) and how compicated is that to do(2)? I didn't have a problem at all chaning the fuel filter and priming it a couple months ago either. I would like to save the starter/batteries from destruction even if it's a couple bucks I don't want to spend.

stampy

Prob less than 10$ for 2 hose clamps and the bulb (Walmart) and a 6" section of fuel hose. Not complex at all...just remove the line that comes from the tank/mechanical fuel pump at the filter housing and insert the pump or pump bulb in that with a hose clamp around it insert new hose piece between filter housing and exit end of pump bulb Tighten hose clamps the pump the system manually with the bleeder open on the filter till you see fuel.

firecontrol86

Oh, like the little squeeze bulb on a boat? That sounds easy enough. So if I get the filter to prime with that and still no joy, could the mech pump still be shot?

stampy

If the filter primes and no joy there could be issues with your injection pump but I think that will solve your problem. If not PM me.

firecontrol86

Firecontrol, see this post:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70527-not-getting-fuel.html

Inside it are several ways to manually prime your system and check your fuel pump.
Yeah, I already went through that one. Pretty much what I just did tonight. Here's the new scoop: Wally world didn't have the little bulb siphon, so I got a different one and siphoned the top line on the right side of the fuel filter. Got fuel to there. Then quickly disconnected it, and switched the siphon to the little bleeder nipple on the left side of the fuel filter and hand pumped that, got some fuel and a lot of bubbles. Did that for a bit, and then tried going to the TM method, pink wire removed cranked it over and got some fuel.

Here's the part that's getting me: fuel is coming when I bleed it that way, but a lot of fuel and bubbles started coming out of the vent on top of the fuel filter. Does that just mean there is a $%&load of air in the system? I serious just hand pumped about 2 gallons of fuel through the filter and it's still got a lot of bubbles it seems. Arrrrrgggg!!! This is me===>aua Any suggestions?

Last edited:

stampy

Could also be a leaky filter base. I did the conversion to a spin on filter as they are cheaper and easy to pre-fill with diesel. . If you had no bubbles before (coming from the fuel line before the filter then it has to be a filter leak) Wally world has that kit also in the boating section. I think it is 30$ Or you could try NAPA.

stampy

That looks exactly like what I have seen in the walmart boating section. We have a superstore though maybe yours is smaller and doesn't have everything.

firecontrol86

Yeah, our wal mart is a superstore but doesn't have a boating section. It seems weird that the base would all the sudden go bad. I changed the filter a while back and until yesterday its been fine. I found that little bulb online, so you think even if I order that the base is the problem? Is that what's causing the bubbles from the vent?

One other thing too, I only put 5 gal of fuel in it when it ran out(size of my fuel can), could it be sucking air because it doesn't have enough fuel in the tank?

Last edited:

stampy

I am assuming you have tried to start it with no joy? The boating section in ours is back where the rifles and fishing gear is.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a bad fuel line. Commonly, they rust at the sending unit, above the tank.

firecontrol86

I am assuming you have tried to start it with no joy? The boating section in ours is back where the rifles and fishing gear is.
Yeah, I tried starting it no joy. I checked the fishing/outdoor/auto section. Our walmart kinda sucks.

So Doghead how do I check said line? Just look for leaks/rusty holes or is there a better way?

firecontrol86

UPDATE: Well the beast lives again! Turns out, with some help from my neighbor, I found a leaking rubber fuel hose coming off the fuel pump. Took it off, GIANT crack in it. Replace, bled system, fired right up. Thanks for all the help guys! Chock up another one for "if it's rubber replace it."