• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could you mount a mirror on the front bumper to allow one man winching

dieck

Just thinking about the challenges of one man winching which I know is not recommended. Could you mount a convex mirror on the front bumper so you could watch the winch operation from the driver's seat and clutch in if something started going sideways?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
someone here on site, made a magnetic mirror mount for the hood to see the winch

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have put West Coast truck mirrors on two winches. I would not be without them, I even put a light on shining on the winch for night work. They are supported on each end by brackets from the frame or winch end frames, holding the mirror laterally high enough to see into it from the drivers seat over the hood. They can be removed if desired, but we leave them on since these are work trucks. I as a rule detest convex mirrors because of the distortion. As the winch winds in, I let off the brakes allowing the winch to pull the truck enough to make steering corrections to crowd the cable as appropriate for a level wind.

Regards Marti

dieck

I have put West Coast truck mirrors on two winches. I would not be without them, I even put a light on shining on the winch for night work. They are supported on each end by brackets from the frame or winch end frames, holding the mirror laterally high enough to see into it from the drivers seat over the hood. They can be removed if desired, but we leave them on since these are work trucks. I as a rule detest convex mirrors because of the distortion. As the winch winds in, I let off the brakes allowing the winch to pull the truck enough to make steering corrections to crowd the cable as appropriate for a level wind.

Regards Marti
Marti,

That sounds like what I was thinking. Any chance you have a picture of your setup?