• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couldn't get 5-ton started on the trailer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you document and photograph all the things that are wrong with your “Ironclad assured” running truck so you can file a claim or lawsuit like so many others have done.

Monkeyboyarmy

On top of the PT fuel pump just below said lever. Has 1 wire going to it. Thumbscrew faces to the rear of the truck. It's about 2"x2"x2". Oddly I don't see it in the posted picture.

WildernessJeep

Here's the inside of my PCB. I assume the white powder is just oxidation from the ozone and aluminum getting together for the last 30+ years. I had to order the relays from Amazon because the biggest my local auto parts place had was 65 amps intermittent duty. I'll pull the box and get it started to clean up. Anything else to work on in here while I'm digging around? How do I reseal the box when I put it back together?

20200328_155939.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
drill a hole in the bottom so moisture can escape. Simply use silicone to seal the lid. One relay is intermittent one is continuous. I just swap em both with Cole Harsee continous duty ones

charlesmann

its a bit late, but were the caging bolts not in the brake park brake chambers?
bolts.jpg

the TMs would have explained charging the system, esp. since the truck is a wrecker/tow/recovery truck. it would have explained which glad hand to hook from and which to to hook to in order to charge the disable trucks air system.
granted i have to ask for help with these antique military manuals, but even before i bought my truck, i downloaded most of the TMs, esp. the -10, which would have had info on how to charge the air tanks.

I'm assuming, that from what you gathered, they pulled/pushed onto the trailer with a tractor as you said, so they probably caged the brakes. lets hope they left you the bolts for future use.

WildernessJeep

its a bit late, but were the caging bolts not in the brake park brake chambers?
View attachment 793928

the TMs would have explained charging the system, esp. since the truck is a wrecker/tow/recovery truck. it would have explained which glad hand to hook from and which to to hook to in order to charge the disable trucks air system.
granted i have to ask for help with these antique military manuals, but even before i bought my truck, i downloaded most of the TMs, esp. the -10, which would have had info on how to charge the air tanks.

I'm assuming, that from what you gathered, they pulled/pushed onto the trailer with a tractor as you said, so they probably caged the brakes. lets hope they left you the bolts for future use.

Yes, that was a possibility, but I have zero experience with this truck; the TM's are about 6,000 pages total. In the future, I'll learn how to do that, but sitting on a trailer with a pissed off Russian truck driver scowling at me wasn't the time to try to figure it out. Most importantly, we needed a way to slow the truck coming off the trailer, and blocking open the brakes would have turned the truck into a 40,000 pound bowling ball.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that was a possibility, but I have zero experience with this truck; the TM's are about 6,000 pages total. In the future, I'll learn how to do that, but sitting on a trailer with a pissed off Russian truck driver scowling at me wasn't the time to try to figure it out. Most importantly, we needed a way to slow the truck coming off the trailer, and blocking open the brakes would have turned the truck into a 40,000 pound bowling ball.
Not trying to kick a dead horse but knowledge is power.
“If” the truck had been aired up-1 the spring brakes would release and you would have 2-3 brake applications of air left to unload

2-caging the brakes does not inhibit service brakes IF the truck has an air source.

charlesmann

some smarts has to be used when caging brakes. you don't back them all the way off. just enough to where it takes some grunting from the pulling vehicle to get it to move. i had to tow log truck that had his pole trailer racked up and his compressor took a crap. we only had to go bout a 1/2 mile. i put my truck in 4 low, and kept the chain tight, till the log truck started to groan from within the drums. we backed off just a tad more and started our trip home. was it safe, yea, if i got off the throttle, the truck stopped. was it legal, not by any means, but we accomplished the mission. it was either than, or go get the skidder and drag it that way, but regardless, the brakes would have needed to be caged.

as for the ruskie, its not like he was gonna go anywhere. the hauler can get mad all they want, iv been there, but reality, a quick search of the -10 might have taken 5-10 min at most, and even with the language barrier, pointing at pictures usually works pretty well and can convey the needs to get the jobs done.

as wheel spinner said, knowledge is power, and you knew several days ahead about the manuals, bc someone mentioned them to you in your thread on batteries for the truck. before i bought my 936a2s, i had most of the manuals, and made sure to get the -10 and had read the pertinent sections several times.

do i know everything about my tck? NO. iv had to ask several questions already. do i know everything about the acft i work on? NO. iv got 17 yrs on 1 specific acft, and I'm still learning stuff about it, and about the manuals.
just getting into the manuals prior to, working on something, or getting it delivered or even buying it, can go a long ways when a shtf moment arrises.
the main thing is, you got your truck home, got it offloaded and now digging into it to see what is not ticking. you aren't to far from me, so if you need some help, give me shout and if I'm home and not bowed up like a cut worm, i can swing down and give you hand. once my truck is road safe, and you need help with a heavy lift on your truck, i'll drive it down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any luck yet?

WildernessJeep

Yes. Sorry, I've been busy getting greasy for the past couple of day. Yes, it is up and running. Fixed the PCB, which answered the no-start issue. Have the driveshaft reconnected, and the truck runs and drives now. I'm working my way through the smaller issues like the crane throttle and other things. I know it has one leaky wheel seal, right rear, on the inside. Planning to tackle that over Easter weekend, since none of us are going to church. But so far I love it!!!

20200330_195405.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks