• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

couple fuel system questions

hellrayzor1

Im new to diesels and need to know some info if anyone can help me. I tried looking for posts and in the TMs but can't find the answers I need. I'm kinna forum impaired so please bare with me.

I tried to upload a few pics of what im talking about but there again im impaired so i hope they show up.

There are two devices that vaguely resemble ignition coils on the top or the intake manifold on my multi diesel. What are these and what do they do? Also the electrical connection going to them is dead even with the accessory swith turned on, is there another switch I need to turn on or is this normal or bad?

Last question: Can I remove the top of the injector pump (where the injector lines attach) to clean it out or are springs and things going to shoot all over the place? I have fuel to the pump and coming out of the return but nothing going to the injectors, thinking this may be clogged.

I took the 3/4 hex bolt out of the middle of the (cap) , when i turned the fuel pump on , fuel gushed up out of it. I read somewhere there is suppose to be a plunger in there so I tried to push down on what was inside the hole but it didn't move. Dont know if this is good or bad.

Thanks for your help and I hope i don't sound too hopeless, im trying :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Divemaster920

Banned
The ones on top are for your flame cold weather starts. The switch should be just inside the drivers door on the lower dash.
I can't help you with the second question, but I will be following to find out.

KaiserM109

I can only answer part of your question, the part about the 2 parts on the top of the engine. They are for cold weather starting. The reason there is no power is because they are operated by a switch on the lower left part of your dash. The smaller one is a pump. My pump started leaking and instead of fixing it I took it off. Here are a couple of threads about that:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/39073-leaking-flame-heater.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/19455-fuel-nozzle-leak.html

Arlyn

PS Divemaster920 got his answer in while I was composing mine. Nice to see we are of like minds.

2nd PS When my flame nozzle leaked it actually sucked air in and killed the engine.

Last edited:

trog

Regarding the injection pump, if the shutdown control shaft is stuck internally, from not being used for some time, then no fuel goes to injectors. Check this by removing the little cover where the shutdown cable attaches, and see whether the shaft returns freely. If it does not, just wiggle it until it does. Sticky control parts are a common problem with injection pumps that sit unused, especially if the fuel is damp from slight exposure to water.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the 3/4 hex bolt out of the middle of the (cap) , when i turned the fuel pump on , fuel gushed up out of it. I read somewhere there is suppose to be a plunger in there so I tried to push down on what was inside the hole but it didn't move. Dont know if this is good or bad.

Thanks for your help and I hope i don't sound too hopeless, im trying :)
Not a good procedure! You really need to download TM 9-2910-226-34 and study it.
The plunger in the bore that you exposed, rides on a cam and moves up and down as the engine turns over. The plunger is lapped to fit in its bore and must not see any dirt or microscopic contaminants, which might jam it or cause a leak.
The "cap" has no gasket, but relies on clean metal to metal contact for sealing. Torque to 50-55 ft-lb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks