• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of interesting things....

Rapracing

I got the urge to go out this evening and start the generators. I has been a couple of months since they were last started.

I had an overcharge issue with my 002. It would creep into the red in 5 to 10 minutes of running. Just ran it for about 45 with 50% load and it never went above the center of the green on the meter. I didn't think to check it with a VM. it had been running over 30 volts but the meter was buried in the red.

Could it have corrected itself? Any thoughts?

My 003 would smoke white from the one exhaust for several minutes after starting it. Tonight when I started it there was white smoke for maybe 10 seconds and then it cleared. Wondering if an injector may have freed up?

Any thoughts?

cuad4u

I bought a 002A off Craigs List real cheap a few weeks ago. It was missing some major parts. After replacing them it started right up and generates properly. Only problem is the 28V battery charging circuit puts out 30.5V with the batteries connected after 5-10 minutes just like yours. I replaced the 28V regulator with another one and same thing. I checked grounds and connections. I still get 30.5V from both regulators. I guess I have two bad ones.

CDR

I noticed they tend to over charge when you have one battery that is either shot or discharged more then the othet

glassk

(b) With the stator leads (1) disconnected,
check voltage across two leads (1) from stator. Voltage
should be in a range of 30-35 volts AC with the engine
operating normally at 1800 RPM, If voltage is less than
30 volts AC, stator on magnets in rotor maybe defective.
Refer to higher level of maintenance for

b. Battery Charging Regulator/Rectifier Assembly

(see figure 4-23).

(1) Inspect. Inspect regulator/rectifier assembly

(5) for physical damage. Check that leads from

assembly to terminal block (3) are not damaged or

frayed. Check that assembly is securely mounted to

engine back plate (4).

(2) Test.

(a) Test stator as given In paragraph

4-27a above to see that it is operating correctly.

(b) Remove fuse (9, figure 4-23) and connect

a 10 amp ammeter across the fuse holder

terminals as shown in figure 4–24. With engine operating

normally at 1800 RPM, charge rate should be no

less than 6.5 amps when loaded by a discharged battery.

Charge rate should taper-off as battery becomes

charged.

TM 5-6115-584-12

Rapracing

I noticed they tend to over charge when you have one battery that is either shot or discharged more then the othet
Both brand new batteries last fall

At Glassk: I was going to go through the process of checking the DC voltage but was wondering if it is possible that it corrected itself. I will need to start it again and put the meter on it as see what I am getting to be sure but the DC gauge was right i the middle of green

Last edited:

Keith_J

Check frame bonding straps, replacing star tooth washers. Aluminum oxide is an insulator plus Al loves to corrode.

CRV

White smoke usually means too much air and not enough fuel, injector was probley sticking and then started working i have used a little atf in my diesel fuel in my pickup and over the road truck and my generator i have had good luck dueing this helps give the low sulpher a little more lubrication power. Pickup was blowing white smoke and this cured it.

rustystud

I have to disagree here, over time 30+ volts out of the charging system will cook batteries

It depends on what batteries your using. All our busses are now using the "Odyssey" extreme batteries. The charging voltage for them is 29.3V to 30.0V . We had to get special regulators and battery chargers.

Jeepsinker

No it won't. At + or - 10% tolerance on 28 volts at charge that is 2.8 volts, which allows for a maximum safe charging voltage of 30.8 volts on conventional batteries. Ever take any electronics courses? And don't get mad here, I'm not trying to belittle you or be nasty.

Rapracing

I'm not going to argue or debate for that matter but when it was charging at 30 - 30.2 it did seem to be boiling/foaming. When i took the battery covers off it was a bit white and foamy looking. I'd tend to think as many on here you are loosing liquid if charging too fast/hard

Ratch

If you're concerned, you could buy a 24v battery charger and plug it into the convenience outlet. That's what I did when my charging circuit on my 002 failed.

Rapracing

I'm not concerned. I was just curious if it may have corrected itself. It always showed in the red before but was in the middle of the green on the gauge. I know, the gauge could be messed up and I never gave it a thought to check it with my multimeter when it was running. May start it up again later this afternoon and let it run for a bit and check the voltage with the multimeter.

rustystud

I'm not going to argue or debate for that matter but when it was charging at 30 - 30.2 it did seem to be boiling/foaming. When i took the battery covers off it was a bit white and foamy looking. I'd tend to think as many on here you are loosing liquid if charging too fast/hard
Your right. When the batteries are charged hard they will loose water faster. The batteries I was referring to are AGM style batteries, so no water loss.

Jeepsinker

I'm not concerned. I was just curious if it may have corrected itself. It always showed in the red before but was in the middle of the green on the gauge. I know, the gauge could be messed up and I never gave it a thought to check it with my multimeter when it was running. May start it up again later this afternoon and let it run for a bit and check the voltage with the multimeter.
Also keep in mind that the charging system will charge low batteries harder until they come up to acceptable levels, then the regulator will tell the system to slack off once the batteries come up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks