• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of M105A2 trailers out of Pineville, Louisiana

TexAndy

I won a couple of M105A2s the other day and I'm entertaining possibilities for retrieval.

I have an 18 ft trailer that has 83" of clearance between the rails. So I *might* be able to bring them both back on that, but it would be a really tight squeeze.

I really don't NEED two trailers, so if I could sell one to one of ya'll right there at the base, I could instead just drive my pickup over, hitch up, and bring one back.

Assuming it's possible to tow an M105A2 with a Chevy S-10. Aside from needing a riser type hitch, what other problems would this entail?

Suggestions? Interest?

If nothing else, it would be a huge help if someone who lives right close to the base could pop in and take a look at the trailers for me to identify any potential problems.

I live about 425 miles away, so just this alone would be a real big help. What's your favorite beer? :wink:

Snarky

An S-10 with a 4.3L and a class 3 hitch will tow a 105 no problem. M105s are heavy so when you have one, you're already exceeding the 2000# limit on trailers with out brake control by 700#, but it's not really a problem if you compensate. If you were to load two of them on a trailer you have brake control on, you exceed the 5000# towing capacity on most normal hitches, and have to make sure your setup is beefy enough for about 5400#+the trailer they are on.

TexAndy

ok... how about with a 2004 Silverado? Looking at the manual, it looks like it wouldn't exceed the max gross combined weight of the vehicle.

However, the hitch is 5000# capacity. Both trailers at once would be 5300#

Also, I'm not sure what kind of pintle hook I need to buy to make this work. The 105 seems pretty tall...

Risky?

I'm getting pretty close to when I need to get these trailers and I haven't been able to get in touch again with the guy who was going to pick them up for me and hold them. So I may yet have to get both at the same time.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
frodobaggins dad lives very close.. thinking only 15 miles away.. maybe he could arrange a pick up and then store them for you. i would help but your a long way from me.. and i dont need another 105.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a member in Pineville, "broke down", you may need to PM him as I have not seen him online lately. Can you post up some pics of the 105s and what $$ you are expecting?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which is the keeper? Did you find the threads about putting 2 on a car hauler type trailer? When is your pickup deadline? What are you asking for the extra one?

woodyNla

You got yourself some tough trailers. Sgt COCO wasn't too gentile with that green one when he was moving stuff around so I could get the M1031 out of the yard. I don't think he even put a scratch on it with the big fork lift.

redcatcher06

I am in San Antonio, Tx with a 52' step deck and I can haul your trailers for you. I just hauled one just like it and an extended bed 6x6 to ft. Sam and I'm on my way back to NC. Call me 910-263-2788 24/7

conductorx

Let me know I may be available to help. I picked up two in Ft, Polk. Without a helpful Sgt. on a forklift we wouldn't have made it. Once they were loaded we had no trouble getting them home.

Gary

Attachments

TexAndy

Resolved.

Many thanks to dlawbrey and company for going above and beyond the call of duty in stacking the trailers and loaning me better straps, a better hook, and lights. I appreciate the generous amount of time and effort you gave to help me.

And yes, a chevy silverado will tow two M105A2s. Just don't be surprised if you get stopped by the cops. A city cop in Navasota wanted to know what the heck I was towing and why it didn't have a plate. He was a good sport about it, tho. Just wrote me a warning and asked where he could get one for his deer lease.