• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of oil questions (mechanical)

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you torque the 3 self-locking bolts that hold the oil pump in place? 2 of the 3 have no room for a socket and torque wrench and barely enough for wrench.

After all is done on piston replacement, I want to pump some oil throughout the engine prior to starting. What is the best port to use? I've read just pull a plug from and oil passageway but don't know which is oil and which is coolant. Does cranking for 15 - 30 seconds without starting do any good without harm?

jake20

If you're talking about the 12 point ones on the outside, I just did a pump swap recently as well. The top was easy obviously, the sides took a little bit of tedious effort.

I did my best to wire wheel the studs on the timing cover before attempting to put the pump back on. That made it a LOT easier to hand thread the nuts almost completely down once the pump was on. After that, I basically sat and turned my 15MM wrench 1 notch at a time, chances are you won't even be able to fully slot it onto the nut either. It took a while but I got it torqued down to what I felt was right.

They also make some funky shaped wrenches just for those, but I got by without them. This is what they look like, can probably find them elsewhere for cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6087-Injection-Pump-Wrench/dp/B000Q6U28S

EDIT: Read Next Response

jake20

Wait - Ignore me, I read "oil pump" as "fuel pump" in your post 😂

Dealing with too many pumps as of late... anyway, I'll leave my previous response up for anyone else that might have to deal with the injection pump.