• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of oil questions (mechanical)

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you torque the 3 self-locking bolts that hold the oil pump in place? 2 of the 3 have no room for a socket and torque wrench and barely enough for wrench.

After all is done on piston replacement, I want to pump some oil throughout the engine prior to starting. What is the best port to use? I've read just pull a plug from and oil passageway but don't know which is oil and which is coolant. Does cranking for 15 - 30 seconds without starting do any good without harm?

jake20

If you're talking about the 12 point ones on the outside, I just did a pump swap recently as well. The top was easy obviously, the sides took a little bit of tedious effort.

I did my best to wire wheel the studs on the timing cover before attempting to put the pump back on. That made it a LOT easier to hand thread the nuts almost completely down once the pump was on. After that, I basically sat and turned my 15MM wrench 1 notch at a time, chances are you won't even be able to fully slot it onto the nut either. It took a while but I got it torqued down to what I felt was right.

They also make some funky shaped wrenches just for those, but I got by without them. This is what they look like, can probably find them elsewhere for cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6087-Injection-Pump-Wrench/dp/B000Q6U28S

EDIT: Read Next Response

jake20

Wait - Ignore me, I read "oil pump" as "fuel pump" in your post 😂

Dealing with too many pumps as of late... anyway, I'll leave my previous response up for anyone else that might have to deal with the injection pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks