• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of questions about my M817!

BigWill1985

I've searched through hundreds of topics, and have yet to find the information I am looking for. I have started to dig through the tech manuals, and have learned a lot. But, I still haven't found answers to a few questions I have. I'm just wanting to learn as much as I can about my M817, and I have a few things that are bugging me!

First off, can someone give me a basic overall design of the NHC 250 motor? I know motors pretty well, but have only worked on a few diesels (6.5TD's and my current 2006 Chevy Duramax LBZ). How many injectors do these motors run? Where are they located? I have looked over the motor pretty well, but I think I only see one or two pressurized fuel lines from the injector pump and a return line heading back to the pump. Is that correct? I'm used to each cylinder having an injector, each with it's own separate line from the injector pump. Just never seen anything quite like this ol' truck.

As far as the fuel priming pump, is it designed to spray a shot of diesel fuel directly onto the glowplug during cranking in cold weather?

I'm just trying to learn the basics of the motor while I have the free time and it's all running well.

Now, onto another question. Does anyone have a good schematic of the air system in these trucks? I'm just interested in figuring it out before I mess with it much. Is the blue gladhand at the rear (and front) get pressurized as I brake? Is it sufficient to pull a trailer with air brakes as it sits? Is the air compressor lubricated with the engine's oil or does it need to be lubricated separately?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

~Will Courtier~

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All your questions can be answered by reading the technical manuals for your truck.

The fuel pump provides constant fuel pressure to all 6 of the mechanical injectors.

Yes of the priming pump, and it is also used to prime the fuel system after a filter or hose replacement.

Air line connection and schematics are in the TMs also. The truck is sufficient to operate air brakes on a trailer. The compressor is engine oil lubed and water cooled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks