• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of questions

zeisshensoldt

I'm currently in the process of changing the front axle boots and I'm wondering where the fill port is on the axle to re-top it off with 85w90 gear oil? For the 2nd question, does the airpack need to be completely removed to get to the vent line? Is the vent line behind the airpack?

zeisshensoldt

I looked at the LO prior to posting this, but figured I should ask anyways. Is fluid not filled up to the fill plug?

Capt.Marion

According to the LO, the capacity for the differential is 6 quarts. According to Note 6 (page 31 of the pdf) in the LO, you should "Check level to within 1/2" of level plug opening."

Therefore, yes, you fill it up to the level of the fill plug. This should be about 6 quarts.

Flyingvan911

I used a small funnel with a rubber hose on it. One quart of Lucas and five quarts of 80W90 GL-5. I use an empty 5 quart jug to measure out the lube. I pumped it out of the 5 gallon jug into the 5 quart jug with a hand pump.

Capt.Marion

Here's a pretty decent how-too on the axle boot job that might come in handy, too. Had to dig it up on another hard drive since the How-To section is long gone...

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Capt.Marion

What's up with the vent line that you're trying to disconnect it/remove it?

Steelandcanvas is correct--it attaches on one end to the top of the master cylinder, and the other end is in the airpack. I haven't looked at it under the truck myself, but I feel like there must be some way to disconnect it from the airpack (if you actually do need to pull the whole vent line off) without having to pull the airpack first.

zeisshensoldt

Yes, I know where the master cylinders vent line is, but not the airpacks. From what I'm guessing it's the one I've posted in the picture a few posts back. If that's the case then the entire airpack would need removing?

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread. I just finished redoing my front axle boots, seals, wheel bearings I had zero difficulty after reading this thread. Cudos to the author!

I also used the funnel/rubber hose method pouring from a 5 gallon bucket to a 5 quart (already added 1 qt of Lucas) jug , then into the funnel. :driver:

Bcurtman

Yes, that is the vent line you have circled. It goes to a junction block on the crossmember where the master cylinder vent is also connected. From there it runs up a open end line that is just folded over near the air filter. No need to remove the airpak to remove that line. I took all the lines off of my airpak under the truck before removing it for its rebuild. I do suggest you use a line wrench though.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, once you've done it a few times, you'll know for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks