• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple questions I cant find answers for?

TurboTim

Have people used the stock driveshaft and kept the axle location with that or is it too short? I plan on shortening the existing bed. Also when you mount up the springs in the rear do you mount shackles reverse or forward?

DUECE-COUPE

Mount them just like the front, same measurements for the mounts. You have a little movement in the drive shaft for it to lengthen or shorten when the cantilever suspension works, so you have room , but the best thing it to put the axle right back under the truck where it was. Bumper it there under the frame, brake line it right there, and no hassles. Look up xm381 on net, and look at the videos of the build. There is a guy on here that put them together and he is spot on with his measurements, and the pics are great. I have built 3, so pm me if you need to talk it out, and i will give you my # to call me when or if you get stuck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be helpful if you asked questions and let everyone know what you are trying to do.

phil2968

I vote normal Tim. You could have them machined to make the axle set flat but I don't think anyone else has. Mine was done this way. Ignore the flat looking springs, it was heavily loaded at the time.
2012-09-23_15-27-35_605 (640x361).jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I plan on bobbing it using front springs and cutting the stock bed in half and rewelding it. I guess I dont know what else I need to say?
OP
Couple questions I cant find answers for?

Have people used the stock driveshaft and kept the axle location with that or is it too short? I plan on shortening the existing bed. Also when you mount up the springs in the rear do you mount shackles reverse or forward?​

The reason I asked what you were doing is because if you will notice, your original post says nothing about what you are trying to do (other than shortening a bed for some reason). After reading the rest of your posts it looks like you are bobbing a truck. If that had been in the title you would have most likely received more responses from the bobber guys. I would not have not responded at all. Now you have Phil helping so that will work. ;-)

TurboTim

So I am looking at this axle under the rear of the druck now and there are 3 pins. 2 are evenly spaced with wheels didstance wise but then there is a 3rd on that would work better to mount the wprings upto. Are the frames offset?