• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Covered M1102

wvu dodge

Looks good man. So does that pretty much complete it? I like the vinyl canopy, but it really is quite a wind sail sticking way above the truck. In most cases if you need to cover what you are hauling, what you built would be enough. What you have would make it more practical to leave it on 80% of the time, vs being more practical to have an open trailer most of the time. Thus eliminating more of the work of taking it on and off.

Shark Bait

Looks good man. So does that pretty much complete it? I like the vinyl canopy, but it really is quite a wind sail sticking way above the truck. In most cases if you need to cover what you are hauling, what you built would be enough. What you have would make it more practical to leave it on 80% of the time, vs being more practical to have an open trailer most of the time. Thus eliminating more of the work of taking it on and off.

For the most part that is complete on the fabrication. I'm installing some inside lighting to find stuff at night if need be. I've got another with the canvas top, and yes it is a sail/parachute to pull. And no security. This top matches the highth of my work truck. It'll be more aerodynamic. Also the interior height and door opening height matches my work truck but with the trailer width being wider. With the inside lip on the lift gate, when shut the tailgate latching pin is replaced on one side with a locking 5/8" hitch pin allowing for complete security. We also made locking plates for the lunette ring for the pintle hitch. Cable locks through the stabilizers and one through the spare tire mount. (These are an unfavorable color now, soon to be painted black or drab). I may add a rack on top at a later point. And plan on adding an off road light on each side of lift gate for backing it at night.

Dave

Shark Bait

Well done. What are the gas strut specs?

Can you post more pic of the spare tire carrier? How did you get it up there and how do you plan to get it down?
The struts were picked out of a large selection that Autozone had in stock. I believe they were spec'd for like 150-160 pounds? The tire took two of us to lift up there, AAA will help get it down if needed. Lol. The spare tire carrier was made with 1/4" wall 2" square tubing, 1/4" plate and some square 1" tubing. I don't have any pics of it without the tire. I'll try to get some more of it on the trailer or when I take the spare off to put back on one of my other M1102's. I'll get you part numbers for the struts as well.

Dave

ghostcrab

Hey Sharkbait, the build is looking great.Will start posting my M1102 project shortly.Gonna do an open version for hauling my Fl. toys to the ocean. I switched my tires to radial road tread. FYI I just weighed one of my take offs....165.40 LBs.!!

Shark Bait

Hey Sharkbait, the build is looking great.Will start posting my M1102 project shortly.Gonna do an open version for hauling my Fl. toys to the ocean. I switched my tires to radial road tread. FYI I just weighed one of my take offs....165.40 LBs.!!
Wow, I knew they were heavy but was guessing over 125lbs. I could use a couple spares. Lol

Shark Bait

image.jpgimage.jpgI thought I'd resurrect an old thread for a testimony of these tough little trailers. Four years after building my top for my M-1102 I have racked up over 25,000 miles on it. It's been throughout WV and across Ky, Tn, Ar, Tx, Oh, Pa and Md. These things pull like a dream, loaded or empty (even though this ones empty weight includes a 500lb top). Whoever has one of these should have total confidence in it, I love mine and don't think I'll part with it anytime soon!

Dave

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 743970View attachment 743971I thought I'd resurrect an old thread for a testimony of these tough little trailers. Four years after building my top for my M-1102 I have racked up over 25,000 miles on it. It's been throughout WV and across Ky, Tn, Ar, Tx, Oh, Pa and Md. These things pull like a dream, loaded or empty (even though this ones empty weight includes a 500lb top). Whoever has one of these should have total confidence in it, I love mine and don't think I'll part with it anytime soon!

Dave
Looks good Dave, but you need to get that white truck painted to match the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks