• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked a TH400 case and support brackets with a NP205

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I also use the "factory" transmission to transfer-case rod and the two engine to transmission rods."

Hey Rusty - I'm not familiar with those two engine-to-transmission rods. Were those OEM?

Last edited:

rustystud

011.jpg024.jpg027.jpg010.jpg
"I also use the "factory" transmission to transfer-case rod and the two engine to transmission rods."

Hey Rusty - I'm not familiar with those two engine-to-transmission rods. Were those OEM?
Yes. They mount to the aluminum torque convertor cover and go to the engine mounts. In todays transmission world almost all the manufactures have gone to the 360 degree bolt pattern just like big trucks have done since the beginning. This increases the amount of torque you can send through the transmission. But Chevy and basically all the big three had this large opening in the bottom of the housing which they then used a stamped steel cover to enclose. Chevy realizing how this effected the reliability of the power unit added a solid aluminum cover with large bosses to install 3/8" bolts for the support rods. Of course you still need the heavy duty transmission case as it has larger flanges to bolt this cover to.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF4215.jpgNot that torque/strut rod controversy again. I found one the other day while I was cleaning the barn. Tagged 1987 K10. Gm must have used them for a long time. This was a 700R and 208 set up. Just for the record. I like them and will be putting them on every truck I build going forward. Stop people from asking me if I deleted the rod when they look under my CUCV's. They see 2 M16 bolt holes in the transfer case and it makes it look like something is missing. I think CUCV's should have them. Happy Holidays. I remember scottlady wanted to make these. He's been gone. What happened to him? Anybody know?

Jeepadict

Gonna revive an old thread in hopes of guidance.

I'm helping my friend who is the Fire Chief for the district next to mine. He has a 1008 the Forest Service built into a brush truck in the early '90s. This is presently used as a Type-7 patrol truck during the fire season, and a plow truck in the winter. A substantial ATF leak turned into our local tech finding a crack around most of the tailshaft housing of the HD case, I assume the soft rubber trans mount was the likely culprit. The new trans has arrived, and the tech called me this afternoon questioning the side support rod being absent...he said he remembers seeing them on the civvy diesels, but was unsure how the CUCVs were set up. I see many posts basically make this rod out to sound like it's an optional thing. I searched the TM to no avail, seems they didn't mention the support rod specifically...or I just missed it.

I didn't know about the converter to motor mount struts until I read this thread, so I'll go check that tomorrow to see if they're installed.

Quite a few of the members on here have been encyclopedias on many subjects, so I'm offering this for suggestion. Do we need to source a brace for this to accompany the new trans? If so, is this something to be had from Hilbilly Wizzard or is it an LMC thing? I've searched the LMC catalog to no avail. I see kits for a second t-case crossmember mount for the rear cover plate...seems overkill for a stock truck.

I've upgraded my Duramax with the aftermarket trans bellhousing to t-case brace because thats a well defined failure point, but I'm unsure if the 1008 needs it and is value-added to keep the truck out-of-service until I can find the parts...please keep in mind this is an active fire truck so cutting corners or cheating things is not an option (which mostly answers my own questions).

TIA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

chevymike

I managed to pick up both the t-case to trans brace and the engine to bell housing rods and mounts. I definitely am adding them with having a Gear Vendors hanging off the back. Got them off EBay.

deathrowdave

I know it’s different ,but my old Power Wagon with a Cummins , NV4500 and a NP205 has nothing as far as a rear mount on the transfer case . I often wandered if adding the rear cover mount may be the way to go to help support the weight .

JD4044M

My 79 Chevy 1 ton with a 454 uses the side mount off the NP205 bolting into the frame with rubber pads and no rod. It also has the cross member under the adapter between the transmission and transfer case. Owned the truck 13+ years and no cracks. I rebuilt the TH400 myself and installed it. So far 3 years no problems. I will try to find a picture of it. It bolts to what that rod bolted to.100_2001.JPG100_2008.JPG100_2039.JPG

Last edited:

Keith_J

Is this a problem with 4L80s? I plan on using the same cross member, all new mounts with a cast aluminum adapter from Advance Adapters..
Stock 1031 with PTO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks