• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked block- might as well upgrade.

ppillard

1997 M1078. While replacing my oil pan gasket, I discovered 2 hairline cracks in my block, consistent with death by driveline vibration (which I have been wrestling with on this truck)

Drivelines were balanced and replaced last year, and I’ve been repairing the collateral damage ever since.

Curious: who has upgraded to maybe a 3116 from an A1 or even a C7. Is a 3306 an option? Are you pleased or discouraged?
I’m not interested in non-Cat swaps.

I’d love some more horse power, and I have 3.07 gears sitting in the garage, so I fantasize about doing 70 mph on the highway.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you trash that engine and go to the effort to replace it, take the pan off and magnaflux the block, looking on the inside. I have seen micro cracks on 3116 blocks that do not pass through to the inside. They were aligned with pan bolts, where the holes in the block apparently built some stress. If you are losing oil, it could be simply a pan seal leak. I had one that only could be sealed with no gasket, and Permatex Right Stuff, an excellent sealer.

The vibration of the engine makes sealing the pans a real challenge. One trick is to replace a bolt on each end with a piece of threaded rod to act as a guide for seating the pan so the fresh sealant does not get 'sheared' by sliding the pan around trying to seat it. (be sure to use metric threaded rod!)

Driveline vibrations probably gets the blame for bad paint too, every malady is blamed on that!! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks