• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked Cab

abh3

Thanks for the photo of the rivited plate, not a problem to do. I'll pull the cab back in shape weld and rivet it all up.

The sticker on the door is illegible unfortunately, who knows where this one has been. Most of the AF trucks at Eglin are much newer but there are more than aircraft down there too, test facilities, all branches of service...

Yes, I guess we are ALL packrats here! I'd love to have a ring mount on one of these trucks but they are expensive, the last one I saw was $1000 without any of the legs, etc... Then there is the gun, a live transferrable .50 is probably $25G these days (I used to be a Class III dealer), a semi .50 in the $7G range though a semi .30 can be had for $1300. Then there is a cradle, T & E, etc... Maybe when I hit the Lottery!

dabtl

FreightTrain said:
it does look like the entire rear was ripped off when the ring hit something.THe bed is damaged too.The legs hit it HARD to do that kinda damage.
It looks more like a stress rips than a sudden impact hit, to me. Someone sure shot a lot of ammo from it, if that is the case.

FreightTrain

Banned
hee hee hee,yours would plead for a bullet to put it down in current condition!I wouldn't reweld a weld personally.I would go ahead and get a good cab and just swap it out.Not a whole lotta work really.wonderful things about these trucks is simplicity.Only thing you will need an overhead lift,a fork lift,or a whole buncha mexicans.That is why when I look to by a truck I look at the running gear.If the body is totally trashed,crushed,rusted out it is so simple to replace with the right lifting equipment.The reason I ain't scrapped out the Martyr Machine.Body looks like holy hell but the axles and all perfect,the brakes are great,the tranny is nearly brand new(thank Joe!),The engine is shot but that was not the trucks fault.....it was mine.

abh3

LOL! But the great thing about these things is that even with the bad cab it just keeps going, only needed ONE battery as the other took a charge. As a buddy of mine commented this afternoon, "Hell, just find a bungie cord to hold the door closed..."

I've got a cab that doesn't look to bad on the rolled truck and the equipment to do it but I'm fresh out of Mexicans :D so I figure a little grinding will take out most of the old weld and I'll add a patch plate for insurance, none of the others have this problem, not even the rolled one, so it must've taken some abuse to get where it is. I bet it'll stay fixed w/o MG added onto it. If I only had some real spare time I'd do the crew cab thing...

flyxpl

In my opinion the way the rear cab is pulled backwards a properly installed cab plate would make absolutly no difference . The cab plate offers no strenth for the direction and place that the cab came apart . Something had to snag the gun ring and pull it backwards . Those gussets in the corner of the door jamb are pretty thick steel and that is a pretty stong area .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks