• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked np 208

Westech

CPL
if it is cracked you can weld it but the cases have to be really true. If the shafts are out of alignment it will self destruct. For the price of a used one (50 -150 bucks) just swap it out and save your self some time, money, and the chance of it being bad even after welding it.

beanman1

i too would look for a replacement mt brother had a cracked one that we got welded work good the first go around second time out we had to get a tow truck as the tc came apart

jimmy-90

If thats your lifted M1009 in the pic I'd say go ahead and see if you can find a deal on a np205 for it. Then you can run a longer driveshaft with a less harsh angle. Plus if you wanted to spring for twin sticks that would always be an option too.

c_clar

junk

the np208 is a canoe anchor never worth the material used to make it... find a 205 divorced and be done with it (the best stock t cace you can get) you will need some mods to make it fit right.

Westech

CPL
I have never broken a 208.... I have snapped a transmission in half that had a 205 hanging off the end of it. For how heavy it is.. man not worth it in my book behind a 6.2 diesel or anything less then a built big block. I have seen too many 205 bust transmissions then a 208 failing. Stick with a 208.. its 6 bolts to replace it and really they don't go bad any less or more then having problems with a 205. Stick with stock and its better in the long run.

I see several pieces of good advice here, but I have a fettish for gear-to-gear stuff vs. chain. I have seen a few 208's basically self-destruct over the years, but they are pretty tuff if you are not going over a stock settup. The driveshaft angles being much improved is a big plus, but you will have to go with a u-joint (vs slip joint) rear output to gain any significant benefit there. You can also go on ebay and find brackets to help support the 205 with the frame rail. I also made a bracket that tied the front of the 205 to the top of one of the bell housing bolts, which will keep it from breaking the tran's case. I made it out of a piece of that zinc-coated conduit pipe you can get at Lowe's. Cut it to the proper length and smash the ends, then drill some bolt holes, and you got yourself a brace. This is especially important if you have a 700R4, which is what I have in my one M1009. If you are staying with a TH400HD case, they are well reinforced to hold extra weight on the back.

Last edited:

2deuce

I bought a M1008 with a broken 208, but the reason it broke was it was pulling a overloaded gooseneck in low range with a non working vacuum pump on the ip so when it did shift it was at very high revs and very harsh. Something had to give and I'm glad it was the TC. I don't think they are weak, but I'm happy it was weaker than the trans.

Sgt Hulka

The 208's a great piece. Not as absolutely stout as the 205 but lighter, cheaper and with enough low gearing to go REALLY low. Get a used one. My experience is good ones are cheap. Best of luck...

POOR WHITE BOY

I run a np 205 in all my rigs - i have seen alot on np 208 and np 241 cases used for truck pulling/sled pulls. They hold up fine when built correctly. Everyone that i have seen break was because of a driveshaft that was the wrong length . The most important part of any case you use is to install all the factory braces/supports and install them correctly.

flewbyu

Thanks very much for all the replies. After careful consideration and due diligence I guess I'm shopping for a 208. Anybody got one at a reasonable price?

WyoDeuce

I run a np 205 in all my rigs - i have seen alot on np 208 and np 241 cases used for truck pulling/sled pulls. They hold up fine when built correctly. Everyone that i have seen break was because of a driveshaft that was the wrong length . The most important part of any case you use is to install all the factory braces/supports and install them correctly.
The last 208 I broke was from a front driveshaft that was slightly too long. Stuffed the front end wheeling and snapped the case in 2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks