• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Craigslist M1009 Deal and Recovery

Hello, Even though I am downsizing my collection, I ran across this M1009 on Craigslist listed in the lower part of New York. The seller wanted $1500 for it without a title and a bad engine and another $500 for a crated 6.2 engine. It was about 90 miles from me so I decided to take a look. When I got there the body needed work. Both front floor pans had holes, the rear body channel had rot and one body support was shot. The drivers side front fender was heavily damaged.
But I saw potental, after some haggleing I got the seller down to $1000 for both the M1009 and and the engine. I think I made a good deal. As you can see from the photos due to the fact the seller informed me it has a rod knock I decided to tow bar it using a military tow bar and my Ex Airforce / East Orange Fire Company Diesel Suburban. We put the engine inside of the Blazer and off I went. :cool:

IT took 2 hours to get back and had a few moments where the weight I was towing was pushing me, but I think I found a good one and it was worth the trouble. Took this poor truck to the car wash on the way back. Its past owner liked mud, everything under the truck was caked in mud. Its time to give this baby a bath. Only I would tow a truck through the wash, normal people drive in. But I hate working on a dirty truck.

Attachments

He said it has a spun main bearing, got it started this morning. The sound is too tinny, I do not think its a bearing. I am going to check the oil pressure. I think this is something else.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the flywheel and the torque convertor mounting bolts.

Sometimes the flywheel will crack.

(Yes I know the flywheel is for a manual transmission and the corrrect name is flexplate, but the TM calls it a flywheel)

Also the price is great for a truck and engine.

Looks like you have a 6.5L in the can. Posts some pictures of the valve cover decals.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looks..good......i would say u got ur moneys worth.....
u is spelled you
ur is spelled your

FROM the SITE RULES
Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English.

biggestc69

Looks like a sweet deal to me! And I know exactly what you mean as far as working on a dirty truck. After being an Army mech and working on muddy, dusty equipment while laying in the mud and dust, I vowed to never do that again! Now I've got a nice heated and cooled shop. Life is good!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it read perfect real like it was before

next thing u now we well not be able to have any miss spell words :roll: :jumpin:

Since you brought it up! Check out the red highlights. Punctuation helps as well.
Whats wrong with having a little higher standard than kindergarten english?

FROM the SITE RULES
Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English.

ajsmith184

and what purpose does having this many rules serve? Other than turning away certain members who might have a lot to offer? Sure, if somebody typed in all text I could see a personal message or something..But for what was done? Get a grip:roll:

cajun666

Since you brought it up! Check out the red highlights. Punctuation helps as well.
Whats wrong with having a little higher standard than kindergarten english?

FROM the SITE RULES
some of use have limited ability on spelling

just cause some one can not spell

does not make there knowledgeable of subject

any less than some one with a collage education

and yes my grammar my be kindergarten English
but that what i have to live with

and yes i did use spell check :cookoo: :wink: :drool:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cajun666,
All we ask is an effort. I don't think there is one person on here that doesn't know that a sentence starts with a capital letter. When one can't even do that it shows that no effort is being used.

ajsmith184,

I have a grip. I hope you and your attitude enjoy your vacation. Remember, you are a guest here and if you don't like the rules, stay gone once the ban expires.

We have interrupted the original posters thread enough. Further discussion will be dealt with.

cajun666

Cajun666,
All we ask is an effort. I don't think there is one person on here that doesn't know that a sentence starts with a capital letter. When one can't even do that it shows that no effort is being used.

ajsmith184,

I have a grip. I hope you and your attitude enjoy your vacation. Remember, you are a guest here and if you don't like the rules, stay gone once the ban expires.

We have interrupted the original posters thread enough. Further discussion will be dealt with.
all to it own my god bless u

Check the flywheel and the torque convertor mounting bolts.

Sometimes the flywheel will crack.

(Yes I know the flywheel is for a manual transmission and the corrrect name is flexplate, but the TM calls it a flywheel)

Also the price is great for a truck and engine.

Looks like you have a 6.5L in the can. Posts some pictures of the valve cover decals.

I agree, I did not get a chance today but in the morning I am dropping the cover on the converter.

Here are the pictures of the engine, I think its a 6.2 but the documents were missing from the container all I had was a shipping label when it was shipped from Quait. :???:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did get a pretty sweet deal there. Search the term "ground hopping". There is a thread one of our members did on starting 4 6.2 engines while in the can. Might could help you test that engine.

chevyCUCV

Nice buy, engine and blazer for 1000 is a great deal.
My money is on the engine that is in the blazer being good.
Look at the casting number on the engine, that will give you a good idea. Also look at the front by the wp for a 6.2 GM or 6.5 GM imprinting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks