• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crane truck goose chase

I went on a goose chase today after a "5 ton Military crane". Well, it wasn't even close. It's definitely not Military and it's only two wheel drive. The only name on the thing is "RO" and it's got a mid engine Detroit Diesel V6 in it. Can I post pictures to see if any of you wrecker / boom truck guys can identify it ?
Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Thank you for the pics. You see something new every day...

It's actually pretty neat if you ignore its looks; 6V53N Detroit, Allison tranny, an abundance of tool box volume, a multi-stage crane boom with a pole grapple...

If your up there again, look for a model no. for the crane or a load chart. I'd guess it has a bit more reach and angle than the Mil. A-W or GarWood cranes but having slightly less capacity than the Mil. units with boom fully retracted.

That would be a great candidate to mount that crane on a 215" wheelbase 5ton. Make a suitable subframe and there ya' go. Put a 5th wheel on the back and you could make your own tractor wrecker.

Doing a quick check, it seems R.O. cranes were bought out by Simon cranes and became Simon-RO. Simon-RO was then acquired by Terex so its not too obscure to find parts for.

Hi,

Thank you for the pics. You see something new every day...

It's actually pretty neat if you ignore its looks; 6V53N Detroit, Allison tranny, an abundance of tool box volume, a multi-stage crane boom with a pole grapple...

If your up there again, look for a model no. for the crane or a load chart. I'd guess it has a bit more reach and angle than the Mil. A-W or GarWood cranes but having slightly less capacity than the Mil. units with boom fully retracted.

That would be a great candidate to mount that crane on a 215" wheelbase 5ton. Make a suitable subframe and there ya' go. Put a 5th wheel on the back and you could make your own tractor wrecker.

Doing a quick check, it seems R.O. cranes were bought out by Simon cranes and became Simon-RO. Simon-RO was then acquired by Terex so its not too obscure to find parts for.
I couldn't find a model number on the crane but the lifting capacity plaque read 16,000# @ 4' extension and 1500# @ 32' extension.

G-Force

The "WARP SPEED" button is funny....but look at the label to the right of it for the key switch......it looks like it says "F*CKING START".......

Last edited:

Vintage iron

The "WARP SPEED" button is funny....but look at the label to the right of it for the key switch......it looks like it says "F*CKING START".......

Laughing my ass off.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would pull the crane and assorted gear, get a 813, pull the bed, mount the crane and fifth wheel stuff from a 818, be a super, self loading tractor

1974 la france boom truck wrecker hybrid. Very rare and real ugly .

"La France" ? "Hybrid" ? It's an RO, built by Roy Oliver Pittman ( Kansas? ) from top to bottom with an integral boom/frame according to the guy interested in trading his 5t for it. He claims it was the best line truck made in it's day. It's all new to me...if it was four wheel drive I would keep it !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks