• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crane truck in flood for sale

shadow

There’s a deuce wrecker/crane truck at local auction that was in the flood. I don’t know what year/maker or anything because they didn’t list it on the sheets and I don’t know if it is a 2.5 or 5 ton or its “M” number. (I have to call them; a lot of items are miss-marked on the sheets) It looks in nice shape. It has a front winch and the boom on the back with a seat and controls. It has 1100x20 tires and it looks like the water line got to about half way up the motor from what I can tell.

Should I try bidding on it, or should I avoid it because it was in the flood?
If I should bid, what is a ball park figure these types of trucks go for?

Today was the only day to view them (for 3 hours) and it is the sealed bid auctions the city does. I have until the 20th to submit a bid. Neat thing is, all the vehicles are only ¾ mile from me.:mrgreen:

I would hate for the scrapers that were there to get it. I can give anybody the link to the citys website with the auction info if they would want to try and get it. It is the only military thing out there except for another truck that might be military. It says a 1947 snowgo. It has the big augers mounted on the front.

M37Dodge

It might actually be ok - it was designed to be waterproof to at least 3'. The wiring/guages should be ok (water proof connections). Definitely change the oil/fuel in everything and blow out the lines. The civilian ad ons might not have faired so well - just put the truck back to stock (like it belongs). :)

Blood_of_Tyrants

It would be iffy. How deep was the water? How long did it sit in it? The trucks are NOT "waterproof" but will keep out water for a short time. If the tranny and transfer case were underwater for any length of time, then they are most likely shot and will need replacement. Open the drain plugs and look for water or milky or ash colored oil. The transaxles could also be full of water and possibly damaged.

Bid accordingly.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the good thing is Iowa doen not have salt water! So have you figured out what model it is? That would determine where to go with bidding.:wink:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Dad's first car was a 32 Ford that a couple drove into a canal and drown in. He got it for almost nothing and all he did was dry it out change all the fluids and he drove that until he left to go to the War in 1942. Go for it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bid on it, the part about being in the flood may scare everyone else away. Worst case is that you sell it for parts or scrap it.

shadow

I didn't get an answer on the phone so I sent them an email. I looked a little online for pics and I think it might be an M816. It is green and looks to be all military. I don't know why the city has it or where they used it. I'm going to sneak out there and get some pics. There is no fence and no people around usually and there close to the road so why not.:mrgreen:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The following are just educated guesses, nothing more. When you drive a vehicle through water, the moving parts, such as hubs etc. are warm from the drive and then get cooled by the water. Because all these assemblies also contain air, the cooling and "shrinking" of the air leads to water being sucked past the seals and into the hubs, gearboxes etc.

Most MVs are designed to survive quick fordings without immediate need for attention. However, longer or frequent submersion all but guarantees the need for oil changes and repacked bearings (insert fording kits blah blah) and brake trouble down the road.

Things are a little different with a vehicle that was not actually driven into or through the water, but just sat there. While seepage will still occur, it may be less of an "active" process and perhaps less intense than if it was driven.

While there may be water contamination in the fluids, it is not as if the vehicle was then driven for hundreds of miles with now insufficient lubrication of critical parts.

My gut feeling with a truck that had merely been sitting there, half submerged, would be rather optimistic. You still have a lot of work to do and a lot of stuff to overhaul (brakes come to mind as an absolute must), but that may be offset with a sweet purchase price.

Last edited:

mightyhammer

Crap...If it is a wrecker...Even if there are some bad components, I'd still throw a $2500.00 bid at it. Heck, maybe $3000.00 or more. If you invested some time and money in parts(if even necessary) you'd still be lookin' way good. I wish I would run into one of those deals around here on a wrecker. I got my M51 W/Winch dumper cheap cuz of a bad head gasket and no-one wanted to mess with it cuz it wasn't a turnkey...Best and cheapest way to acquire the most coveted items.... I figure. COOP

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how long it sat in the water and how long it's been sitting after the flood. If it sat in the water for a day or two I'm sure it got some water where it shouldn't be and if it's been a while since the flood with bearings and such contaminated with water you're going to have problems. Looks like the crane itself should be ok but I wouldn't count on any of the drivetrain below the water line.

I wouldn't count on scrap either. It's $20 a ton around here right now.

jfnemt1ff1

No salt in the Iowa rivers, It should be no trouble even if you have to repack bearings and change fuilds which is always a good idea any way. And if you get it I am not to far rom you and would be glad to help with the save.
John

cbvet

First, being close by is worth a LOT.
I'd look it over, & if it's a complete truck I'd buy it.
I used to restore Studebakers, which for you kids out there were "way cool" wheels. Once picked up, free, a 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk with a Paxton supercharged engine. It had been submerged to the top of the hood for 2 months.
I emptied everything, filled everything, removed & dried the interior. Filled the cylinders with 10W oil . Twice a day after the first couple of days, I would turn the crankshaft about 20 degrees. After about a week, I removed the remaining oil, & started it up. After about 15 minutes, I changed the oil & the spark plugs. Drove it for 2 years, but the body was really rusting away. Sold the engine & trans to a guy who got another 11 years out of them that I know of.
With all the rust converter/encapsulator products available these days, I may have been able to save the body too.
Eric
CBVET

FreightTrain

Banned
well,I WOULD go for it.Worst case is you will need a new engine or a rebuild.That is around $1000 either way you go(in frame or replacement used engine).Replace all seals and maybe bearings in teh hubs which is another grand(OD iron,New bearings,seals,seal wiper but the bearings might be fine so that is a a BIG chunk of it(835 bucks!).Tranny should be ok.The rest should be fine except a slim chance of the starter or Alternator being messed up.Which I doubt.This is worst case stuff.If the metal is great and the paint is great and it runs and functions then the truck is easily $10,000 or more resale.M816's ain't cheap!

shadow

:cry::oops::x:confused::evil:
I got a reply and they said it is not up for bid and they apologize for any confusion.:mad:

Why would you put something directly in the group of cars/trucks your auctioning and not have it in the sale??? They had a bunch of people looking it over and climbing all over it so I bet they are getting a lot of calls and emails about it.:lol: They should have put it away from the rest. They only have about 10 acres to move it on but I guess that would make sense and it is the city we have to deal with.:roll:

I'm bummed now.:-( Maybe it will pop up later for sale. Who knows with the city. To give an example of how they deal with items, I had bought a 1989 e350 van that they just put brand new tires on and I got it for $200. :mrgreen: The guy where I picked it up at was miffed at me because I got it so cheap. Maybe they should start bids higher if they want a higher price.

shadow

Wouldn't you know it. The truck is at auction now that I don't have the money to bid. :evil:

If anyone plans on bidding on it and wants some pics or anything looked at, I am just a few blocks away from it so I can help you out. It ends on the 25th so there is not much time left.

Lonesome715

I would love to get a truck like that. I can use the good parts for M211 biuld I have planned. What kind of crane is it? Is it a knuckle boom that mounts behind the cab? I am very interested if it is. If it is the truck I am looking for, can I bid on it with out being there?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks