• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank Case Breather Smoke

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a M931 yesterday for a friend of mine. Once I got it jump started and checked all of the fluids and topped them off I noticed smoke coming out of the breather. It is a decent amount of white smoke where you can see it from the cab when you are at a stop. It also blows a little oil out of the tube also. Any thoughts on what this is. My M923 boesn't blow any smoke out of the tube or oil.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I had a k30 with a 6.2 that had that problem for a bit. the main thing that i found was that the rings and frozen to the piston. I read up more on it and found that this was a common problem with 6.2 s that had sat for a long time, talking 6 years or more with out running, and that simple letting it sit and idea as well as just driving it would free them up from the piston. Now these rings where not stuck it the Cyclades liners but simply to the piston. The blast from the Cyclades firing would freed them up a a day or two of easy driving, and light on the throttle, and I could feel the two Cyclades come right back. Now this is just my two cents, but I say take it out for a light low rpm run and drive it a couple house and see if it gets any worse. If it still doesn't get any better you may have bigger problems like broken rings or a hole in a piston. So start simple and work to more difficult problems.

03silverado

Our international 466 at work blows some smoke out of the breather and a little oil I agree with indy4x4fab try running it a while it will either get better or worse

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully that does the trick. The truck only has 300 miles and 10 hours on the clock since its rebuild in 2006. Thanks guys will keep running it and see what happens.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Probably not broken in yet. I've got the same thing going on with mine after a in frame overhaul. I need to hook up the M105/genset and work it hard.

bearboley

Id say it has a scored piston, scored liner, broke piston something along those lines. If it has enough blowby that it comes up around the hood when you stop its not likely gonna fix itself.

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well- i drained the coolant and a total of about 3 gallons came out. Ugh!!!! I knew what to expect next when i drained the motor oil!!!! Sure enough!!!! A gush of coolant made its way out first then oil.

Well its off to the shop tomorrow to slowly start seeing what was damaged:(!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks