• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CRANK NO START

JZAM75

THE GLOW PLUG SYSTEM WILL NOT WORK, SMART BOX WAS BURNT UP. REPLACED BOX, GLOW PLUGS AND CONTROLLER, STILL NO OPERATION. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple things to start off with:

1) has this vehicle ever started for you, or did you receive it in this condition?

2) Using a multimeter, do you show voltage at the glow plugs when they are cycling?

3) Do you have any smoke out the exhaust while cranking the engine?

4) Caps lock is generally considered to be shouting, and we can read just fine without it.

5) What model/serial number truck are we talking about? The systems are generally the same, but there can be small differences that make a lot of difference when trying to troubleshoot issues.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Respectfully, all caps posts are a no-go.

Profiles require city and state IIRC. Please fix your profile.

What year and what model?

Did you replace the fuel and ensure the water is removed from the filter?

Is your injection pump functional?

Is white smoke exiting your exhaust?

Is the ambient temperature above or under 55?

Are glowplugs checked with multimeter to establish they are working?

Are batteries fresh and fully charged and are connections clean and tight?

Last edited:

JZAM75

Respectfully, all caps posts are a no-go.

What year and what model

Did you replace the fuel and ensure the water is removed from the filter?

Is your injection pump functional?

Is white smoke exiting your exhaust?

Is the ambient temperature above or under 55?

Are glowplugs checked with multimeter to establish they are working?
A couple things to start off with:

1) has this vehicle ever started for you, or did you receive it in this condition?

2) Using a multimeter, do you show voltage at the glow plugs when they are cycling?

3) Do you have any smoke out the exhaust while cranking the engine?

4) Caps lock is generally considered to be shouting, and we can read just fine without it.

5) What model/serial number truck are we talking about? The systems are generally the same, but there can be small differences that make a lot of difference when trying to troubleshoot issues.
It's a m1097r1 and I think the ser# is 511670. It has fresh fuel, filters and a new lift pump on it. I have had it running but only with ether. Runs good after its started but i dont like using ether. There is no voltage out to plugs when ignition is first turned on, the wait to start light flashes on for a split second then nothing.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to measure resistance across the plugs to see if they are functional

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a m1097r1 and I think the ser# is 511670. It has fresh fuel, filters and a new lift pump on it. I have had it running but only with ether. Runs good after its started but i dont like using ether. There is no voltage out to plugs when ignition is first turned on, the wait to start light flashes on for a split second then nothing.
X2 on never use ether.
Did you change the TSU, and make sure it matches the EESS box?
EDIT, I see you say you replaced the "controller" I assume you meant the TSU
What part number is on your EESS box and was it new?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what was purchased from midwest Military Supply. The part # of the 1 that was in it was a cr-2695. The description said it was a new/unused part. It bolted in without an issue and both connections were the same.
That does not look like a "real" box, I could be wrong but it looks like an aftermarket box, one never wants to buy an aftermarket part for the Humvee, especially an electronic part.
Did the glow plugs take 10MM or 3/8" wrench?

JZAM75

That does not look like a "real" box, I could be wrong but it looks like an aftermarket box, one never wants to buy an aftermarket part for the Humvee, especially an electronic part.
Did the glow plugs take 10MM or 3/8" wrench?
The glow plugs were 3/8. Both the ones I took out and the new ones that went back in. The box came with the tsu to match it.

CapePrep

You need to put some effort in here for us to help you. You were asked if you ohmed the GP. No response. We here on the internet can't magically fix your problem. Search these forums, read old posts and learn. These are very simple trucks. With your WAIT light flashing briefly, me thinks you smoked your box. Get your DVM out and start doing some testing.

JZAM75

I have ohmed out the glow plugs, they are less than 2 ohms. They are new plugs that were put in along with the smart box. Batteries were disconnected when box was replaced. I haven't charged the batteries , but I did load test them and both passed.

Reactions: 98G

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve helped a few members with similar issues. Simple affordable DIY solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks