• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crankcase vent

bear76

Can I remove the CDRV and all the vent tubes with it? Do I need it for the engine to function properly? I have an 83' m1009.

Thanks.

bear76

I'm trying to clean-up the engine bay and simplify things alittle, pulling everything out that dosent need to be there to work. What is the function of the CDRV anyway, other than venting the crankcase?

85-m1028

diesels have high compression ratios, so combustion gasses build pressure inside the crankcase and the cdrv is there to relieve the pressure. When the cdrv fails "usualy clogged by oil" the pressure builds inside the crankcase and blows out the rear main seal and other gaskets.

85-m1028

then you will just vent the crankcase gasses out to the atmostspere, "I wouldn't recomend it" the crankcase gasses are routed back into the intake manifold to be run through the combustion chamber again and out the tail pipe. Diesels require a slight vaccum in the crankcase.

The cdrv is there to regulate the vaccum. For example next time you have the engine running take the oil cap off and notice the white smoke, if you stuck a filter on it all that smoke would just pile up under the hood. Unless you want to be that hoop dee rolling down the street smoking like crazy!!