• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cranked engine with fuel cutoff pulled now starts slow

Bowtie70SS

Ok guys what did I mess up? I reached into the truck to start it without getting inside and flipped the accessory switch on then hit the start button not realizing I forgot to push the fuel cut off handle back in. NOW when I crank the truck instead of the 1/2 turn of the engine to start I have to crank it for 15-20 seconds. What did I screw up? I looked in the fuel tank and I saw the pump moving fuel but thats about it. Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So your saying you tried to start the truck with the fuel shut off? Maybe you have a cracked fuel line letting air in.

Try turning the power switch on and cracking the bleeder on the secondary filter housing. Once fuel sprays out, close it, then try to start the truck. Report back if its any better.

Heath_h49008

You're supposed to do that every time you start the truck to check for a hydrolock condition.

Check your filters as per TM.

After that, check the shut down under the cover, and think of anything else that might have happened.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Heath said we should be doing that everytime but wonder how many people do. I might start with takeing off the shut down cover and make shure the control rod is free and working. Then inspect the cable and plundger to see if it is retracting all the way and if your in doubt about the cover you can try and start it without the cover on. To shut down the motor just push the control rod backwards or to the firewall. If all that is good and you find there is no air in the finals just for giggles turn on the intank pump and let it run for 30 seconds and this will not hurt anything then try and start. If all looks good and you have rechecked everything I might try increasing the main fuel a one flat at a time and see if that helps. When doing this you do not have to tighten the jam nut till you find the sweet spot or return it to the same place where you started.

Last edited:

welldigger

Ya its definitely not you leaving the fuel shut off out. As, mentioned your actually supposed to crank it with the fuel shut off out to check for hydro lock. Ever wonder what that Sheppard's crook was for on the main power switch? Now you know. Its probably an air leak somewhere in a fuel line. I'm hunting one on my truck....still.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
probably just a coinsidense. most diesels default to max fuel when not running so moving the fuel rate nut should do nothing. you may try pedal on the floor when cranking just to see, it won't hurt anything. make sure you have fuel flow with the tank pump running, most likely just fuel draining back because of a air leak.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Tom I agree they go to full fuel acording to where the main fuel control is set. Do believe if we turned up the main fuel adjustment more then the spill port would close even farther on starting but I don't know if it would ever be compleatly closed or Full fuel. I said that because I had a LDS I had turned up and when I sold it I turned it TOO far down ( two threads showing on the main fuel stud) and don't know why but in this case I did find that I had to play with the main fuel adjustment. If his was starting well before then correct he should or does not have to change main fuel. Agreed his case air leak and bleed back most likely so next time bleed the system before starting and see if any air showes up. Don't forget to check the rubber line and fittings that starts at the crossover copper fuel line and ends with the IP.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks