• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy prices?

TurboJoe

The other problem is, even if you change out the alternator for a 4 pole 60hz unit, a lot of the control electronics won't work.
I looked at the 400hz machines but I don't think they sell low enough to make it a worthwhile proposition, even getting the alternators at industry pricing.

Ray70

Exactly, the 400hz machines are going for $3k up to over $5K
A good friend of mine was about to bid on a nice 2012 right near by, starting at $3000 until I looked at it and told him STOP! its an 813A!
He saw 10K in the title and almost went for it unknowingly.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey LITD.... funny, I recently responded ( nicely ) to the one you are talking about who says you can turn the frequency down 15% and run a building... tried to explain it to him nicely and he responds " keep reading below, I mention using an inverter " After looking again, he has 2 postings and one says use an inverter and the other does not... Problem is, won't an inverter capable of handling 15Kw end up costing more than the gen. itself??
I had told this joker (under the guise of making it work for him), that there were 400 to 60hz inverters on the market that could work... but that they would be prohibitively expensive. I showed him one that would handle up to 3kw, and it was $1800!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly, the 400hz machines are going for $3k up to over $5K
A good friend of mine was about to bid on a nice 2012 right near by, starting at $3000 until I looked at it and told him STOP! its an 813A!
He saw 10K in the title and almost went for it unknowingly.
Pretty sure that is worth a bottle of your favorite sin of choice, if he know what kind of money you just truly saved him....

csheath

Glad I found this forum and read up on them some before buying. I was extremely lucky to get the one I did when I did. I am convinced I was better off getting a 2600 hour unit rather than a lot of these so called low to no hour stories I read. I am all in for a couple grand and that includes building my load bank and connecting to home. My winning bid was actually $975 before fees. Had it won at $750 at the 4pm closing hour but didn't know GL would extend until bidding stopped for a period of time. Eat your heart out suckas!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad I found this forum and read up on them some before buying. I was extremely lucky to get the one I did when I did. I am convinced I was better off getting a 2600 hour unit rather than a lot of these so called low to no hour stories I read. I am all in for a couple grand and that includes building my load bank and connecting to home. My winning bid was actually $975 before fees. Had it won at $750 at the 4pm closing hour but didn't know GL would extend until bidding stopped for a period of time. Eat your heart out suckas!
A very good price. I have bought sets with lower hours, for less money... but still a very good price considering the market today!

Guyfang

Staff member
The other problem is, even if you change out the alternator for a 4 pole 60hz unit, a lot of the control electronics won't work.
I looked at the 400hz machines but I don't think they sell low enough to make it a worthwhile proposition, even getting the alternators at industry pricing.
While I agree with you, Lets keep this in between the sidelines. There are about 7-9 assemblies beside the Main Gen that need to be changed. The biggest problem is the wire harness. I didn't count the few screws, nuts, bolts, gaskets and klein kram. Its do-able. If I had a 803A that had a major structural damage, I would get me a 813A. If I had an engine failure, I would get me a 813A. And if I had a couple screwed up, non functional 803A's, all with a different problems, you bet changing out the main gen and control section would be a viable alternative. But buy an 813A to modify? Too much work and cost. But under the right circumstances? Yep.

jamawieb

LOL! Those were the days. I remember getting less than 500 hour units for $600 with fees. Now you can't get anything under $1,000, even if it looks like it's been rolled off the back of a truck.