• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross Country in a Deuce!

Chris Deuce

Hi, I'll be taking the deuce cross country from WA to FL when I PCS here in a week. I've changed the fluids, done a major brake job, air pack rebuild, installed a muffler, exhaust brake, and 395/85R20 tires. I'll be finishing up the radio install this weekend and doing a good once over on it. For the trip I'll be hauling all my stuff, approximately 5000 lbs., and towing my Wrangler behind it, a little under 5000 lbs. I'll be swapping on and off driving with my dad. We'll have all the tools necessary in the bed plus spare fluids and fuel.

Anyone have any good advice or things I might not have thought of for a long trip in the deuce besides taking it at a reasonable pace and checking fluids everyday?

JDToumanian

Sounds like fun! There's lots of threads from people who have done it in the past, check lists, etc... Some things you can never be fully prepared for, like Cranetruck's hydraulic head failing at a truck stop somewhere in the midwest. He was stranded there for a few days while someone over-night shipped one to him. Your best asset is this forum, because you're never too far from the support network. Keep the thread updated with lots of pics throughout your trip...

Jon

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have one.... I put a cigar lighter in the dash. Use it to charge your cell or GPS. Check, but all the chargers I see will handle 24V, if you read the fine print on the charger.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always carry one of the multi function jump boxes. Good for charging phone, 12v accessories etc. A decent head lamp (flashlight) is somewhat of a must. Don't forget how to use deuce A/C. Basically, it's a way to cool the cab that might not make sense. In hot weather, close all windows and prop open a winshield. This pressurizes the cab and forces air out of all the little openings. Only open it about 4". I prefer doing the drivers side but you will likely get pelted by a bug or 3. Be safe and sensible.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May consider posting your specific route and a rough timeline. Helpful folks on here will offer up assistance along the way.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better seats would be good. Your azz will be in a coma by the time you get to FL.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Invest in noise cancelling headphones to preserve your precious hearing. :) Buy a CB radio so you can talk to truckers. They are a valuable resource when running down long stretches of road. Plug it in to the jump box that you're going to buy (great idea Kenny!!)

Even better - get your amateur radio license and buy a 2 meter rig and a deep cycle battery. Connect the positive and negative leads to a blade fuse adapter with 15 amp use -> an on/off switch. Run the leads from the on/off switch to the CB radio. If you have your ham ticket, you can build a second power box for your 2 meter.

Where in FL are you PCS-ing to?

Chris Deuce

Thank you guys for all the help. My trip got detoured a little farther north for a school I have en route to FL so the deuce is waiting in PH til next month when I'll pick her up and finish the trip. The deuce did great. I added "comfy" seat covers made for car seats that helped a little. Installed 12V Outlets to power my phone and an AM/FM radio and those made all the difference for the trip. Along with the muffler and ear plugs, I could clearly hear music the whole trip. My dad has bad knees from knee replacements and wasn't able to reach the pedals, so I had to drive it all myself with him passing me food and doing the navigation. We had one bad flat in Nebraska and were lucky to have a full sized spare to change out. Had a leaking tire for the whole trip. When I got the flat repaired and the leaker repaired in OH they found a run flat washer in the leaker and the flat had just blown completely apart. Having the fuel turned up and the EGT gauge was a must as we were able to cruise at 55-60 for most of the trip and were only slowed down to 30-40 mph on most hills. The exhaust brake was also a must for slowing down on the downhills. I was debating selling the deuce after the first day, but have decided I really like it. It's a great vehicle for what it was designed and will be a lot more user friendly with a few upgrades (seats, sound deadening, etc.). I'll post pictures once I finish the trip to FL next month.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seats are high on my list to swap out if keeping a truck. I put some charter bus seats in mine and LOVE them. won't go any big distance in a truck w/o them!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my 923A2 in Idaho, just across the border From Jackson Hole WY. I shipped a seat up there and installed it before I left for the trip to TX.

IMG_8693.jpg

Good seats are a top of the list priority. I didn't have the AC installed for the trip, but, even in July, it was nice most of the way. Utah got hot! But when I hit TX, I was chasing a front that had some reasonably cool air and it kept me comfortable until I pulled up in front of the house at 4:00 am.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks