• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross country trip?

rollinwardle

So, I'm moving in the next few weeks... from NC to San Diego (around 22oo miles).
The problem is I'm leaving my great running modern car here for me ex. My only other vehicle is my '77 M880.

My question is has anyone made a really long trip like that in an M880? I have a week or so to make point A to point B. Am I better of just selling the truck and getting something highway friendlier?

And trailer or renring uhaul is not really an option.

Thanks.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 mpg - 2200 miles = 220 gallons x $4/gal = $880 (coincidence or a sign!)
Minimal lumbar support

I did a 986 mile trip in under 24 hours in my M880 with 18 foot trailer in tow.
Ear plugs - a plus

rollinwardle

Yeah, I figured I'd be broke by the time I made it there just from filling up. That 10 MPG thing tho is gonna really hurt my feelings after a few fill ups.

I dunno... got a little bit of time to really consider what to do. I'm pretty sure the truck could do it and turns out I have more than a week to make the drive.

goodbrewing

I bought one of my M886's in Fort Smith Arkansas sight unseen, took a bus out and drove it home to St. Albans Vermont. It was 7 years ago and gas was much cheaper but the truck took it fine. My first stop was an auto parts store and I checked out everything I could. I had the advantage of pulling into truck stops and crawling into the back when I got tired. Since then it has been to Cape Cod , New Hampshire and New york a few times. Usually with a trailer and another vehicle on the home trip. Just be sure to check your belts, hoses and ALL of the fluids before your journey. You just need to decide if the truck is worth more to you than the cost to drive it there.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I drove from Columbia, SC to San Clemente, CA it was more like 2400 miles. I-20 to where it merged with I-10 in west Texas, then on to I-8 north of Tuscon and over the Imperial valley to San Diego, and about 75 miles up I-5 to San Clemente. I was in a big Beemer and did 70+ from an hour before sunup till sundown each day - three days to cross the country. I was going in January, you are going in the summer heat, in a much slower vehicle. If you have no major issues, it will take you a week to drive and another week to recover.2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets evaluate this. Your M880 is a mid 70's Dodge. It has a 318, 727, NP203 with D44/D60 axles. With proper PCMS the truck is capable of dozens of trips across this great nation. The more accurate question would be are you capable? Even though the M880 is somewhat the bastard child of the MV crowd and retail prices are low, there are fewer and fewer of them. I'd be inclined to do what I can to hold on to that truck.

rollinwardle

I should probably look into getting the fuel gauge fixed or I could just pay attention and fill up every 150 miles. Turns out I'm not heading back to San Diego as planned (my potential new house was just rented out). I'm going to head for the Fort Carson, Colorado area. I'm a DoD employee, I can live anywhere... 1600 miles to C. Not looking nearly as bad now. 'cept the mountains but I'll be coming from the east so I dunno...

imbobbbb

When I bought my first m882 a dozen years ago I drove it from wash dc to my new home in wyoming,drove it everyday for two years 70 miles a day roundtrip comute to work ,and drove it back and forth to the east coast a couple more times.If a drunk hadn't hit it while parked I might still have it.

Now whether 'you' are up to it may be a different matter...:D.I recently got another m882 and my current daily driver is a m1009 blazer so i'm used to no a/c and a lot of noise.Compared to the many jeeps and diesel blazer i've had for daily drivers the m882 is pretty quiet and comfortable in comparison.I did eventually put power steering on my first one and will on my current one...that will make it comfortable enough for me.

N1265

You just need to decide if the truck is worth more to you than the cost to drive it there.
I think this sums it up pretty well, No doubt that if your truck is in good mechanical / electrical condition that it will make the trip.

I am not sure about your truck, But I do not like to drive mine above 60 MPH for any length of time. That being said, I have and will drive my unit down the highway at 60 MPH all day long.

m880 unimog

getting rid of a truck that old is usually a mistake.i run plenty of newer green stuff around,but it,s the older trucks that hit the grin button,every time.
it is precisely that they don,t have power steering/aircon/electric seats etc that makes em so.
sure ,after a few hundred miles the ' old school cool ' effect may wane.but anybody can drive a modern electro tub across the place.
it,s a dodge.it,s worth it.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks