• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cruise Control

quickfarms

I installed a verier throttle cable for my "poor man's" CC. If I need to turn it off, you just mash the control back to "0"(in emergency). Otherwise it works much better than the "throttle control". I found using the stock setup is either one click too much or one click not enough. I have a bunch(of the cables) if you would be interested in trying one out.
How do they work?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kinda like the throttle cables except they work like a screw. As you screw them counter-clockwise, they pull out. Or you can push the button in the center of the knob and pull it out. I have found you can really fine-tune your RPMs since it is screwed in and out, rather than notches.

jw4x4

Modern cruise controls are far more complicated than throttle locks. To function SAFELY, the cruise control must automatically disengage when the brake pedal is even slightly pressed, and also it must "ease up" when going down hill.

I have put over 5000 miles on my 932. There is no need for cruise control on these trucks. As previously stated in this thread, these trucks need to be "driven", not merely guided down the road. Cruise control would be a bad idea. 2cents

quickfarms

Modern cruise controls are far more complicated than throttle locks. To function SAFELY, the cruise control must automatically disengage when the brake pedal is even slightly pressed, and also it must "ease up" when going down hill.

I have put over 5000 miles on my 932. There is no need for cruise control on these trucks. As previously stated in this thread, these trucks need to be "driven", not merely guided down the road. Cruise control would be a bad idea. 2cents
Cruise controls are very common on modern 18 wheelers.

Adding, if it is not already there, cruise control to a modern truck with an electronic engine can be as simple as plugging a switch into the wiring harness.

jw4x4

All of our Kenworths at work have cruise, and a couple of our Mack dump trucks, too. Virtually every newer truck has it, especially the drive-by-wire trucks.

Triple C

Adding cruise is an interesting question. I drove a truck with cruise for years but I wouldn't consider putting it on my 925. The N14 motor got better mileage on cruise which put more money in my pocket, plus the ECM on the motor had a number of defaults that would disengage the cruise if there was a safety issue. I don't think one could duplicate that (though I may be wrong) but most of all, most road tractors are maintained at a higher level than I think most MVs are. I didn't have a tire on my tractor that was over three years old but I don't have a tire on my 925 that is under 10! Even a vernier throttle (used a lot in aircraft) would be an impediment in some situations - like a blow out. It's an interesting discussion and obviously the op can do as he pleases. I wonder what would happen if you pulled up to an aftermarket seller and said, "Let's put cruise on this." I wonder if they would do it or defer?

quickfarms

I wonder what would happen if you pulled up to an aftermarket seller and said, "Let's put cruise on this." I wonder if they would do it or defer?
The answer depends on the shop. A car shop probably would pass. A truck shop would lift the hood and realize it is a mechanical Diesel engine coupled to an Allison, the hardest part would be the 24volt electrical,

If you clicked on the link the OP posted you would find out that it is for a cruise control that is designed for class 8 trucks and RV's with mechanical Diesel engines.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Unlike most vehicles the m939 trucks are geared very low. I personally try to drive around 60mph on the highway. Any slower then I am holding up traffic. Any large vehicle traveling on the highway that cannot maintain 60mph should have flashing amber warning lights. At 60mph the rpms are around 1800. Most heavy vehicles designed for civilian use have gearing that is more highway friendly. The m939 vehicles were not really designed for highway use or at least 60mph civilian highway use. It's bad enough the vehicle is being used at its limits but now you are letting an electro-mechanical device maintain it at speed. At 1800 rpms if I had cruise control and had to panic stop, would it disengage fast enough or would I be fighting braking against an engine still churning away at 1800rpms. Scenario 2 if in a panic stop as an operator in control I take my foot off the gas and apply the brake hard. That gap between gas and braking although small allows the engine to start slowing down and as I hard brake between the abs and driver experience I am able to safely come to a stop. With cruise the engine is still at 1800 rpms when I hard brake and the brakes are already engaged as the cruise system disengages it's throttle control mechanism but by the time all that happens hard braking has dragged the engine down and it stalls. This is a VERY realistic scenario since it can easily happen anyways.

M920

Anybody installed cruise control? Looking at this, but not sure if it will work on my M925A2:

I have had this system on my M920 before I swapped in the ISX and have to say; Cruise Control King makes a great product!
Just call them with your needs and they will point you in to the right direction.

Even if you do not drive the truck all that much, CC is really a great addition to any MV. I saved mine and I will install it on my FEMTT, as soon as I get some of the more important things done.

Soni

Last edited:

74M35A2

These trucks only run mid 60's full tilt. Just use a brick.

It looks to be easily done, though it needs electrical pulses from a speedo pulse generator as it's input, which our trucks do not have. You would have to adapt an automotive pulse generator into our speedo cable as a pass through, or have your dash speedo inop as it would go right to the pulse generator. Speedometer shops may have a splitter to do this, not sure if our cable connections are some type of standard, or unique. M920 seems to have had one, ask him how this portion worked (way cool train by the way).

The website and product looks to be built in a guys basement. Maybe ok functionality, but I'd be at least a little concerned about safety. OEM products are very hardened against EMC/EMI/RF interference, voltage spikes, reverse voltage, water intrusion, temperature, double jump start voltage, etc.... One unexpected electrical spike/pulse, even from a shorted out traffic light overhead, could trigger this thing to pull on the cable unexpectedly. I'd maybe use it with a big red mushroom stop style button on the dash that cuts power to it, and as long as the actuator is spring return and not worm gear driven (not self-holding). You are putting this thing on the throttle of a 21,000lb truck. The OEM cruise controls have many safeties built into them, such as auto-cancellation if vehicle speed increases/decreases faster than a pre-set threshold, etc....

See if somebody makes a similar actuator which uses self contained GPS, then you wouldn't need to splice in a pulse generator into your speedo cable.

quickfarms

These trucks only run mid 60's full tilt. Just use a brick.

It looks to be easily done, though it needs electrical pulses from a speedo pulse generator as it's input, which our trucks do not have. You would have to adapt an automotive pulse generator into our speedo cable as a pass through, or have your dash speedo inop as it would go right to the pulse generator. Speedometer shops may have a splitter to do this, not sure if our cable connections are some type of standard, or unique. M920 seems to have had one, ask him how this portion worked (way cool train by the way).

The website and product looks to be built in a guys basement. Maybe ok functionality, but I'd be at least a little concerned about safety. OEM products are very hardened against EMC/EMI/RF interference, voltage spikes, reverse voltage, water intrusion, temperature, double jump start voltage, etc.... One unexpected electrical spike/pulse, even from a shorted out traffic light overhead, could trigger this thing to pull on the cable unexpectedly. I'd maybe use it with a big red mushroom stop style button on the dash that cuts power to it, and as long as the actuator is spring return and not worm gear driven (not self-holding). You are putting this thing on the throttle of a 21,000lb truck. The OEM cruise controls have many safeties built into them, such as auto-cancellation if vehicle speed increases/decreases faster than a pre-set threshold, etc....

See if somebody makes a similar actuator which uses self contained GPS, then you wouldn't need to splice in a pulse generator into your speedo cable.
Your brick idea is unsafe.

The cruise king has been around since the 80's. It has logged many millions of miles in both class 8 trucks, 80K semis, and RV's. It is a proven design. If there was an issue it would have been discovered already.

There is a inline pulse generator that is available.

The website is not the best but it is not the worst.

I hate to tell you this but the eom stuff is not shielded from EMC/EMI/RF very well. Just look at all of the problems Toyota has had.

GPS, at least civilian consumer grade equipment is not the answer. Survey or military grade would work but it would cost several time what you paid for the truck.

Rifleman

A few weeks back there was a BIG thread on here by another member who brought up the question of how the public views us and our trucks. First and foremost to me is safety when i drive my truck, and like that other thread pointed out if you have a accident in your truck it can and will reflect poorly on our whole hobby. As the other thread brought up too, an accident could start people, or God forbid the media asking questions as to why people other than the military are allowed to own and operate these trucks on city streets and highways. Just remember, right now there are members that are having BIG problems getting there trucks titled in their state, this is because the powers to be already don't like these trucks. So I think the best way to promoter and protect the hobby we love, is to always put SAFETY FIRST! This is my opinion so YMMY

goldneagle

A few weeks back there was a BIG thread on here by another member who brought up the question of how the public views us and our trucks. First and foremost to me is safety when i drive my truck, and like that other thread pointed out if you have a accident in your truck it can and will reflect poorly on our whole hobby. As the other thread brought up too, an accident could start people, or God forbid the media asking questions as to why people other than the military are allowed to own and operate these trucks on city streets and highways. Just remember, right now there are members that are having BIG problems getting there trucks titled in their state, this is because the powers to be already don't like these trucks. So I think the best way to promoter and protect the hobby we love, is to always put SAFETY FIRST! This is my opinion so YMMY
I think the best solution is to leave our trucks at home as lawn ornaments so we don't risk getting into an accident with them and give our hobby a bad name! For god sakes don't go skiing because you could hit a tree like Sonny Bono. They should have banned skiing after that -too dangerous!

I actually would love having cruise control on my truck. I know when I drive long distances in my truck my foot gets numb from constantly pushing down on the accelerator peddle. I also spend too much time looking at the tachometer to make sure i keep my speed steady. With cruise control I would pay attention to the road more instead of the tachometer.

Rifleman

Goldeneagle, I never said to park our trucks and only use them a lawn ornaments. The problem as i see it, alot of these trucks are being bought and used by new owners who have never driven anything larger then their pickup truck, let alone a truck weighting 32,000 pounds. So the point i was trying to make is new owners need to realize they need to give their truck their undivided attention, not only for their safety, but for the safety of those drivers around them. Goldeeagle, it's all good, we just seem to have different points of view on C.C. in our trucks.