• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cruising speed

gt1009

Since fuel is so expensive, I was wondering if anyone on here knows the most efficient RPMs for the 6.2 diesel. If we get that i'm sure someone can do the math and figure out our most efficient speeds for the blazers and trucks.
Thanks,

AJMBLAZER

Don't forget that aerodynamics plays a large part...especially since we're essentially driving rectangles with rounded edges.

There's a thread over on CK5 I'll try to find. It has a bit out of a GM manual that discusses the amount of hp for one of these trucks to achieve certain speeds. Past 55mph it goes up sharply and you realize just how unaerodynamic these vehicles are.
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113688&highlight=aerodynamic
Last page has some diesel specific info on it.

msoumas

Re: RE: cruising speed

AJMBLAZER said:
Don't forget that aerodynamics plays a large part...especially since we're essentially driving rectangles with rounded edges.
There are rounded edges? :eek:

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

I thought the rust helped the airflow in the lower part of my truck. Kinda like air vents or a swiss cheese effect.

That and the lack of metal is reducing the weight of the truck. :D

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

...and 85mph takes at least 25% more hp for one of these trucks to maintain then 65 so yea...oww...

Lower the speed and obviously you'll see better mpg.

gt1009

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

85 mph for 30 minutes? You must have ears of steel to stand up to that kind of noise. Also, isn't 85 about the max speed you can get on flat ground?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

gt1009 said:
Also, isn't 85 about the max speed you can get on flat ground?
85 in a M1009 is about maximum. if you're going 85 in a deuce, not only is something wrong with your truck, but you're probably going to die in it.

aboonski

Engine RPM

I am interested in finding a way to install a tachometer on a 6.2 diesel to see what is going on under the hood at various speeds. I understand that there is a tach which uses the balancer with a magnetic pickup to show RPM but don't know where to buy such a device. Any suggestions? I too am interested in achieving the best mileage with my M1008A1.

maritimer

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

gt1009 said:
85 mph for 30 minutes? You must have ears of steel to stand up to that kind of noise. Also, isn't 85 about the max speed you can get on flat ground?
it does have a nice rumble with the duel cherry bombs, as for max speed i can get her up to where the speed needle is inline with the 3rd number in the odometer and maintain it but she vibrates like crazy at that point but thats only on flat ground or downhill, uphill she wont top 75mph.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: cruising speed

you can get a tach that uses the alternator. thats how it works in the hmmwv.

EO2NMCB

RE: Tachometer

aboonski, autometer makes a tach for diesels that uses the alternator. Any good parts store should be able to order it. Years ago I put one on a 3116 cat and it worked great.