• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CSX 40w oil

Sp0okfish

Im due for an oil change and I usually use rotella 15w40. The guy I work for has about 500 gallons of cheveron 40w oil, CSX used it in their trains. Ive looked it up and some people say it wont matter and others say dont use it. Just want to know if anyone else has any input.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a detergent oil it should be OK. Is it straight 40w? Might be a little thick in the winter until it warms up.

Pinz25086

I was given quite a bit of straight 40wt when I got a 150 gallon tank that I had planned on making into a BBQ grill smoker. They told me that it had some in it but it turned out to be well over half a tank. I used it both as oil in the engine and as fuel thinning it with diesel. Never saw any issues with either way. I never say no to free oil especially clean unused oil that I do not have to filter to use.

wayne pick

You can run any straight weight oil in a diesel engine depending on the temprature range of where you live. A friend of mine worked on the Alaskan pipeline in the 70s, they ran 10w series 3 motor oil in their Caterpillar machines In winter temps. In your climate, I would go back to 15/40 arround Nov 1st. I run Rotella 30wt and add Lucas oil stablizer in the summer. That brings the oil viscosity up to and possibly beyond 40wt, and have had no problems.

wayne pick

Don't know if Lucas will stop oil leaks. It coats internal engine parts preventing dry starts for vehicles that may sit for long periods of time so it may stay with the seals. The increased viscosity may also help. Try using any name brand rear main seal leak additive. It will soften and swell the seals. Im not a real fan of any mechanic in a can additives. Valve seal replacement can be done without removing the head by pressurizing the cylinder being worked on with shop air. This will keep the valves from droping into the cyl when the valve springs are removed. This must be done with the cyl at or close to TDC. A compressed air rig can be made from an old injector with the tip removed.

Sp0okfish

One more question the oil was made when there was high sulfur diesel. since I dont run offroad diesel would regular low sulfur effect it that much.

Tanner

No oil additive will fix the stem seals, unless the additive causes the seals to swell... then you create the potential for more issues.

'Tanner'

JGBallew

Depending on the state of your engine, a single vis 40 weight may just cause the pump bypass to open at lower temps. Your film strength may be greater, but so is it's resistance to pumping.

This means that for a moment on a cold 'dry' start (as in it's sat over a long weekend, and you're below 30F), your engine has no real lubrication even though the gauge shows pressure (or the light has gone out).

If it's long in the tooth though, I doubt the tolerances are close enough for it to really matter.

Keith_J

One more question the oil was made when there was high sulfur diesel. since I dont run offroad diesel would regular low sulfur effect it that much.

It may last longer. I doubt total base number has dropped for new oils. I would suppose the extreme pressure lubricant (ZDDP for example) will be higher in this off-road oil, EP packages have been reduced for post 2006 on road engines since these can foul catalysts and particulate filters.

The higher EP content is good for the engine, specifically the tappets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks