• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS questions

jimbaker

I recently purchased an '88 m998 and I was curious about adding CTIS. I've read a fair amount on the subject, but I still have several questions about it.

For starters, any search for CTIS seems to show a lot of results for deleting it, and I wanted to know why so many people get rid of what seems like an awesome system. Is it just that prone to failure? If so, what components fail most often?

I found this write up on adding CTIS:
http://www.flashoffroad.com/hmmwv/AddCti/ctiHmmwv.htm

It seems simple enough, but I was wondering if a dedicated air pump was necessary since I was considering adding an on board air system anyway. If I had that, would there be any need for the normal control switches and valves that are usually used? I'm fairly confident that I can set up some valves and regulators that would accomplish the same thing and keep the system non-electronic.

My last question (for now) was whether or not you actually need a new set of spindles for this. I can't find where I read this, but I read that you can just have normal spindles drilled and tapped to 3/8" and reuse them, but I don't know how that would seal. I haven't taken my hubs apart yet to see for myself how it all goes together, but I've also read that the CTIS spindles use at least one different spacer and that early style spindles are prone to cracking due to a square shoulder on them anyway.

This site has been a great resource for researching my first military vehicle purchase, and I appreciate all the info I've already learned here. Thank you for all the great information you guys dispense

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You could go down the road of drilling your old spindles out but why would you bother when at the moment on ebay you can pick up a nos ctis spindle for less than 50 bucks each. Cost you more than that to mess about with the old ones. Then just get 4 new steering arm covers and the hub part of the conversion is done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks