• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS quick disconnect valve rebuild or replacement options?

joelowe

The CTIS quick disconnect valves on my 93 civ hummer leak, again, all of them to some extent. The internal o-rings wear out and the valves start leaking air, usually depending on their position.

Nothing like the sight of a hummer sitting on the pad in the morning with all 4 tires flat to the ground. It does make getting in the door a bit more convenient.

I know some owners disable the CTIS, but this is not what I am looking for. I actually like the system overall, just not the non-servicability of the quick release valves.

Can anyone give me some pointers on rebuilding the valves? Officially they are non-servicable, but I did have one fail years ago where the retaining clip had broken. Looked like if they could be disassembled without damage, a rebuild would just be a new retaining clip and o-rings. New valves are not cheap, and they will undoubtedly be leaking again in a few years.

Or, has anyone had any luck replacing the AM General part with something from some other application? Maybe a screw valve with a T in the line for a separate schrader valve?

battlebuggy

A. If you go on to the Hummer Mailing List forum, H1 and Humvee Section there is a full thread on using replacements from McMaster Carr. I have used them for years now. Work great. And are way cheaper.

B. You will find that the valves are not your problem/or only problem. The main issue with leaks is the rotary spindle seal and stub inside the hub. They dont last long and leak all the time. Mil spec is 1 lb air pressure lost per day. So when the humvee is left for a couple of weeks they all have four flats. Bad for tires and runflats to sit that way for a month or longer so mil shops just disable the whole mess. You are lucky if you can leave it for a week without it sitting on the flat tires.

C. Daily driven humvees dont ussually have to much in the way of problems with the hub seals since they are kept wet and lubed by the gear oil splash in the hub. And when driving you can give the system a shot of air from the pump each day as needed. But its when the truck doesnt get driven daily and the seal dries out that you get the issue.

D. Test using the vent hose into a jar of water method to see which spindle seals are leaking if you want to chase the leaks down.

Last edited:

Xanthus

Looks like I need to do better searching there. I have seen that setup this weekend, and I thought it looked great. I have not had luck navigating that companies website thus far.

Time to refine my forum search function use.

Thanks!

Xanthus

Looks like I need to do better searching there. I have seen that setup this weekend, and I thought it looked great. I have not had luck navigating that companies website thus far.

Time to refine my forum search function use.

Thanks!