• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS System - Is it an all-or-none system?

PapaPumpSD

Will the CTIS system work for some tires but not for others on the truck? For example, if 5 tires have valve stems in them, preventing the CTIS from adding air, but one tire doesn't have a valve stem, will the CTIS work for that one tire? Or will the system fault out and not do anything?

Thanks much!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put it run flat mode to keep it from faulting out, but it will constantly chase the pressure up and down, never finding it's target pressure.

I have used mine with valve cores in only the front two tires, and it still took forever for it to stop hunting for the correct pressure in the four rears.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had a bad front axel seal capped that right front axel off and system worked perfectly fine for all others.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inflate and dump times are programed for the volume of six tires. The more tires you eliminate the the harder time the system has finding it's target.

PapaPumpSD

Thank you everyone for your input. I have a front tire that I'd like to put air in but my CTIS is non-functional and the manual-fill air stem is deformed/damaged so I cannot manually add air from the "inside" of the tire. I think the CTIS isn't working due to valve stems in so I thought I could check for a stem, and if present, remove it and let the CTIS do its thing. I may still try that.

Thanks!

Brent

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give it a shot.

If your controller goes 5 flashing lights, hit the run-flat button and that should help keep it from faulting out as fast.

It'll also helps if you can hook the truck up to shop air, and not start the engine, so you can listen for and start tracking down leaks while it's filling.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, if your CTIS will not work after removing the valve core, as long as your wheel valve is good, you then will be able to manually add air from the valve stem on the wheel valve

PapaPumpSD

Ok, I went and purchased a gladhand tire inflator (gladhand + 50' hose + inflator end piece) from a local Mack truck center. I hope it fits on the 5 ton! I'll try adding air to the tires soon. I used to add air via gas stations....it takes forever and it's so uncomfortable being under that truck holding the tire inflator!

corvette9

Also, if your CTIS will not work after removing the valve core, as long as your wheel valve is good, you then will be able to manually add air from the valve stem on the wheel valve
Are you saying that there is not supposed to be a valve stem in the valve that is mounted to the hub? My CTIS worked when I bought the truck. I had a local truck shop switch a few tires around and the system stopped working. But it dose have valve stems in those hub mounted controlers. They may have installed them not knowing they don't belong there. I use the valve stems that stick out the inside of the wheels to air tires up. Should I remove those stems?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you need to remove the valve core where the CTI hose screws on to the valve stem of the wheel, not the valve core on the wheel valve...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your tire pressure reads zero at the wheel valve with the truck off, you almost certainly have valve cores in tour wheel valve stems