• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCU style starting system on 12V truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weighing some options here on a truck. I am considering getting a crew cab and would like to go to 24V starting. On a stock CUCV, there is that pesky relay under the dash. As most know, the truck uses 12V to energize a relay (doghead) that then connects and provides 24V. Is there any good reason that needs to be in the cab? For simplicities sake, I'd like to keep it under the hood. My thought is to mount that same type of relay under the hood to provide 24V for starting. To energize the relay I could just use the 12V wire that energized the 11V starter to energize this relay. Seems simple enough, have I missed something?

cucvrus

I just installed the sealed box relay on 2 trucks. I copied one of the plug and play relays that Antennaclimber made. I think it is a great sealed replacement and beats the pants off of hacking the wiring. It could easily be mounted under the hood by extending the wires. I could run them along with the 4WD light wires that I reroute to the underside of the floor to get them out of the cab. Good idea. But on my terminus M1009 I will just keep it inside to prevent water damage from the mud bath it gets under the hood.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your idea sounds reasonable and easy.

Al Harvey

I'd say that your idea seems to be the simplest way. Are you going to add a second alternator or use a solar setup for the second battery? I've been thinking about just adding a 24 slave plug to my dually utilizing a solar panel for the third battery.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going with dual alternators but need to keep A/C compressor. I have a complete set of brackets for an ambulance so I'll press those into service with 2 new Leece Neville alts like used in the "plan b " mod. At this point I see no need to have that relay in the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks