• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 1.5 motor swap

DFD2010-A

So after selling my bobber and having some play cash Westech and I worked out a deal on his CUCV 1.5 (AKA K3500 frame and axles with K1500 body). I purchased the truck and a crate 6.2 motor off of him with intentions being to swap out the 4.3 here this spring/summer. The truck already has a 5 spd manual with 4wd. He and I spent some time on the phone yesterday regarding the swap, basically we figured the needed parts would be.....

-Adapter plates for motor mount
-Glow plug controller
-Oil cooler
-Possibly a new fuel pump to accommodate the diesel fuel

Gimpy and I talked and he also thought a new pressure plate may be in order due to the location of the weights.

Can anyone think of other complications or parts that would be needed to make this work other than blood, sweat and tears? Am I going to run in to any problems with the 24v starting system that was used in the 1008 and 1009 trucks with this truck being a 12v...I'm not really up and up on the electrical side of wrenching on vehicles so figured I'd ask. Rich said he left the 3" exhaust that was attached to the diesel that came in the 3500 frame so that should be good to go. Thanks for any input....looking forward to a new project!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a 4.3 chevy V6 then you won't need to worry about the motor mounts. They are in the same location as all other chevy L6 and V8 engines.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will be no problem on Glow plug controller I have an new fix for this as for oil cooler install new rad with built in cooler starter
is no problem leave it 12 volt new starter no that bad $.
you can Pm me I give my ph I work on diesel all the time.2cents

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
J code 6.2L 155 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
Cummins 4bta 120 hp 325 lbs tork 4btaac 130 hp 350 lb s aprox
4.3 Ditto to above.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will likely need to change the pickup on the fuel tank as you need a return line that the gasser doesn't use. Will need to calculate to see if the electric fuel pump will work in reference to flow and pressure. Glowplugs can be as simple as a Ford starter relay with a pushbutton. As far as the clutch not only a pressure plate but a 6.2 correct flywheel which aren't exactly growing on trees. With all that said, is there any reason you deleted the deuce thread? Was some good info there to share with others.

DFD2010-A

thanks for the tips! Good things to look in to, as far as the deuce thread...I'm not sure what happened to it....I couldn't find it to post to the other day?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce thread is marked deleted by you! Maybe hit a wrong button or something. Mind if I bring it back to life?

DFD2010-A

Recovery, not at all please do! I don't remember hitting delete or why I would...unless I just wasn't paying attention, which is highly possible. :drool: Thanks!

Westech

CPL
ok.... Motor mounts.. you will need to REMOVE the adapter plates. The V6 mounts are 4" back from the 6.2 and V8's. No big deal you need no parts, just take out and re bolt in mounts. There IS a fuel return line, the engine is TBI. The NV3500 is rated up to 300 Foot pounds. As long as your not towing a mobile home your good to roll. The Fly wheel you can order from Autozone ect...Bring in a junk gasser for a core the kids don't know the difference. (I gave them a 305 SB chevy for a 289 Ford core) You will have to do a little work on the Tach but I think the engine comes with a RPM sensor. I know you can make it work and I was thinking about a couple tricks but I think you can use the sensor to send a signal to the factory ECM. All the other gauges will work you just have hook up the sensors. Exhaust will be ez.. Y-pipe and a center pipe. The rest of the pipes are stock Diesel. to get power to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump tap off the coil power wire, that way it will start and shut off with the key. You will want to get a radiator with a engine oil cooler and have a couple lines made up (75 bucks) or try to fine a OE type set. This swap can be done will little to no mods just a little smart wiring and bolt on parts.

DFD2010-A

Westy thanks for the clarification...I misunderstood you on the phone when we were talking about the motor mounts...and thanks for all the other info, I wasn't saying anything we discussed was wrong by starting this thread simply asking for input from others so I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. Can't wait to get the truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks