• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv 1008

J.Z.

My first 1008..I bought this from the local sheriffs dept..It has 26,588 miles..It was given to the sheriffs dept in 1995 for free from the military with 23,768 miles..I have put new bfg tires,new windsheid,new tailgate,belts,hoses,glowplugs,oil,tranny flush,fuel fliter,air filter,took out troop seats and a good cleaning...Next is complete paint job,solid green carc 383 to start and a bed liner...It has been fun so far...

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first 1008..I bought this from the local sheriffs dept..It has 26,588 miles..It was given to the sheriffs dept in 1995 for free from the military with 23,768 miles..I have put new bfg tires,new windsheid,new tailgate,belts,hoses,glowplugs,oil,tranny flush,fuel fliter,air filter,took out troop seats and a good cleaning...Next is complete paint job,solid green carc 383 to start and a bed liner...It has been fun so far...

Nice ride, I am impressed you found yourself a winner, Wise choice on the 383.

idM1028

i always assumed the Sheriffs office had to give free military vehicles back to the military after use.

guess I was mistaken.
I've heard that after so many years they become the property of the sheriffs office and they can do whatever they want with them. Read somewhere the magical number was 2. I think a few guys have managed to snag HMMWV's from the sheriffs office this way. Either way, great find. I wish my truck was that clean. Check your wheel wells up front for rust too. GM (for some reason) used a small piece of metal secured into the wheel wells with sheetmetal screws. They seem to be the first thing to rust. And when they do, usually the rest of the wheel well starts going. The only place I've been able to find them is the salvage yard and there seems to be no way to get them off the trucks without completely mangling them out of shape. I'm hoping I can weld some metal into that spot before the LOVELY Nebraska winter and inevitable salt. Try checking Tractor Supply for paint too. They sell some camo green paint thats a pretty close match to 383 CARC.

J.Z.

cucv

Thanks for the comments..This beauty cost me $2400 from the sheriffs office,and another $1000 in parts pieces and tires..I also welded on front and rear towable receivers..more pics to come soon..complete paint job is in progress...

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very nice truck. I'm very happy with mine. You gonna keep those troop seats? If not, i get first dibs:razz:

Firejareen

What is the best/easiest way to get the old paint ready for new paint? If I can do that in my garage then when I get it to the guy who will repaint it for me it will save me some pizza/beer money. Do people use a particle blaster?

ralbelt

I used a good respirator. Random / orbital sander, 220 thru 300 paper. Pulled, hammered, filled any low spots [ missed a few] , primed any repaired areas, wish I primed the whole truck. Then shot it with three coats 383 carc.

J.Z.

paint

As stated,Orbiital sander, 300 sand paper,hit high spots low spots and took out 99% of the dings and dents..prime the whole truck and paintx3..Do not be fooled by the garage,this is my friends dads house,he has 30 years in the body business..3 guys 1 week...turned out great..

Attachments

Disciple

Wow! Great work! I'm looking for someone to help me/do it for pay with my paint job. Mine's also from a sheriff's Dept but they painted it black and white and used it as a squad or to tow a boat. Id really like to have someone prep and prime mine then I want to do digital camo. I have the paint and made my own stencils. I'm just right up the road in Burnsville if you guys would be interested in starting another project.

Great work! Looks amazing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks