• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 1009 daily driver?

91W350

We drive ours everyday, very seldom do they not go someplace. It gets as hot here as it does anyplace in the US and we usually get a dose of humidity with it. Open the vents, crank the wing window around, hit the trail! If you had to wear a suit and tie everyday, I would say find something with air. Normally the M1009s run 14 to 22 mpg....depending upon how they are driven. Glen

Bethelfire

I se mine everyday on the farm and to support 2 Fire Departments! It makes a great fire/rescue truck has it will go anywhere and with the light bar and wig wag's I can really move traffic out of the way. It is loud and rough but that is just part of having a real no frills TRUCK!!

tnttnt187

I think like many others in this thread. If the truck will be only form of trans. than read all that you can about it. My M1009 likes to be run regularly, let sit and she wants to stay asleep. All that being said if lives depend on you a backup would not be a bad idea. Welcome and buy that truck you will love it.:beer:

Greasey1009

Good lord that was a quick bunch of replies! So...

Lives don't necessarily depend on me, although my boys need a way to school, and I need a way to get from job site to job site and back to pick them up, and well, without that I guess lives could depend on my transportation...no worky no money no housey.

Long term plan would be to ditch my current 4wd for a uber fuel efficient wagon, sedan, whatever...as a backup. Or not if things go well.

As for speed...I am looking for a reason to not go fast! Driving a rig like these says "its ok I am going slow, if you would like to rear end me, be my guest". When you drive a new vehicle the assumption of fellow drivers seems to be "you are not in a clunker, why are you not going 80 in a 55?"

The no A/C deal is not a big thing for me really. I don't wear a tie...hopefully never will. I keep my house hot in the summer and cool in the winter( God didn't build us with A/C )...ask me how I keep my BGE bill under a 100 dollars a month! I had considered getting a soft top for the rear with roll up sides, figured that might "air it out" a bit when it gets sticky.

Has anyone seen a "cabinet" or storage area/raised bed installed in these, a la an expedition rig or a raised bed in a pickup for camping? Thought about that for storage.

kentuckycucv

I drive mine as much as possible bc I use WVO and today I filled up with my used moter oil/ waste veggie oil blend. runs smooth and quit. at about 10cents a gallon.

Has anyone seen a "cabinet" or storage area/raised bed installed in these, a la an expedition rig or a raised bed in a pickup for camping? Thought about that for storage.
It's a M1028, not a 1009, but I've spent about 60 nights in it and I haven't even had it a year yet.

Changed the oil last week since October, I burned 1/4 of a qt. over the entire winter. Not bad at all.

Here's one from last week high above the Green River in UT:

Attachments

ccf460

Thanks for all the replies. I actually test drove it this morning. I am
hooked, that thing was freaking awesome! Yes it's loud, bumpy, and ugly
so am I. On a technical side: It is very peppy, laugh if you want, but I drove my
2003 dodge 2500 quad cab , diesel , 6 speed truck to and from the test drive, and
there is no doubt in my mind that the blazer would win a drag race to 70 mph
( I am sure in part to the manual trans on the dodge). I noticed the blazer shifted
very firmly at 35 mph and again at 55 mph, this sound like the normal range? Is it feasible
to swap in a 4 spd. auto? mainly to help lower the rpms at highway speeds. The engine is absolutley beautifully simple compared to my cummins. This is probably the coolest old truck I have ever driven.

Barrman

Shifting at 20 and 35 is more the normal. Probably just old vacuum lines and a little adjustment to the vacuum valve on the side of the IP.

Many threads have been started about putting a 700R4 or 4L8E in the CUCV trucks. It can be done, but cost is often the stumbling block that stops it from being done.

33x12.50 tires will drop your rpm about 6%. The rubber overdrive option is what most people go with because it is bolt on and something that is going to need bought sooner or later anyway.

IdahoPlowboy

I have had mine now for a year and drive it as much as possible, And as others have said I spend a couple hundred a month on repair and upgrades and it has not let me down. I fixed the leaf spring sagging by having the springs re arched and am very happy with them. It has now become my daily driver and my other truck has become my back up.:-D

allrevup

Sounds like a good buy. That is on the high side of speed for a TH 400 shift, but with in the range with the M1009 gears. A good shifting TH 400 has hard shifts (almost harsh) a good thing for internal parts, it can be adjusted it "a little" to your preference with out adverse effects.

steved454

ccf460 I am a fireman for the city of Jackson in Ms, there are a good many fireman on this cite. I am just starting to drive my M1028 every 3 days to work, it is about 18 to 20 miles. I enjoy the ride in with the windows down and no radio. My daughter loves being picked up at school with it too.