• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv 12 volt connection where?

iasc399ia

Well I spent 8 hours at a kc light installation place to install a set of 12 volt kc lights on my Cucv before our honeymoon trip to Yellowstone. They installed the lights hooked up to the first battery and blew the bulbs. New set of bulbs and connected to second battery and blew that set as well. They said they couldn't find a 12 connection anywhere to attach the wired from the lights too.

I have a set of $1000 24volt kc lights already connected so a 24/12 volt switch is out of the equation.

I am getting a 12 volt $1000 gps/radio unit installed into the dash of the cucv tomorrow and I know they will ask the same question and I dont want them to just hook it to the 1 battery and destroy it. Both batteries put out 25.3 volts.

So the question is:

Where the "blank" is the 12 volt connection for the kc lights and GPS/radio connection(s) at?

Obviously a very frustrating day.

Thanks guys

Al Harvey

The front battery should only be 12 volts. Look on the firewall just above the glow plug relay, there should be a connector with two poles coming off it, that should also be a 12V location.

cpf240

Assuming the truck is stock, I'd really wonder where in the heck they are making their voltage measurements. And perhaps question their abilities. Connecting to the front battery should get you 12v. Connecting to the rear battery, you'll get 24v if you use the frame as the ground reference. It is possible to get 12v from the rear battery, but is not really worth the hassle of completely isolating everything from the frame.

iasc399ia

The front battery should only be 12 volts. Look on the firewall just above the glow plug relay, there should be a connector with two poles coming off it, that should also be a 12V location.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I witnessed him test both batteries and they both put out 25.3 volts. Do you by chance have a picture of the connector with the two poles?

iasc399ia

Assuming the truck is stock, I'd really wonder where in the heck they are making their voltage measurements. And perhaps question their abilities. Connecting to the front battery should get you 12v. Connecting to the rear battery, you'll get 24v if you use the frame as the ground reference. It is possible to get 12v from the rear battery, but is not really worth the hassle of completely isolating everything from the frame.
This was also a kc light dealer/installer. Today was ridiculous. I was completely frustrated

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see pics of the meter connected. If you are getting that at a 12v batt, it should be boiled out. Something very wrong here.

iasc399ia

I'm going to go out and see if I can get a good pic of both batteries in the same picture.
See if something is not stock or normal. I'll post picture in a min.

Al Harvey

It looks fine. If you have a multimeter at the house I would check the voltage across your front battery using the positive and negative terminal. If that is 12v, then move your ground to the body and see what it says there, should be 12v also. I'll try and remember to take a picture of that piece above the glow plug relay tomorrow.

Smokinyoda

If your getting 24 volts on front battery something is seriously wrong! Positive terminal on front battery, negative terminal on rear battery, and this terminal circled in red in the picture should all be 12v sources.

IMG_0290.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Don't make this more complicated than it is. There's almost certainly nothing wrong with your battery setup. The problem is that you are dealing with idiots who should not be allowed near a multimeter.

If they can't find 12 volts on a CUCV, they are just poorly trained monkeys who have no clue about what they are doing.

Don't go back there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you need to do is trace all the "extra" wiring you have on your batteries. I sure see a lot of it.

Also the battery cable terminals you are using are really for temporary use.

iasc399ia

Well went to an audio installer. He had it all fixed in 30 min. stupid people at the first place kept putting the hot one on one battery and the ground on the other. I didn't even check cuz I figured they knew better.

donalloy1

If your getting 24 volts on front battery something is seriously wrong! Positive terminal on front battery, negative terminal on rear battery, and this terminal circled in red in the picture should all be 12v sources.

View attachment 545798
How much amperage can we safely pull off this circuit? Thinking about tapping this for accessory fuse block c/o Lights etc... Thoughts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks