• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 24 to 12 volt conversion mess

Ctilander

Sorry for jumping on this late post, I have a 1984 D30 1008, 4x4, and want to switch it to 12v, I would stay with 24v, but my "glow plug control module" went bad and decided to switch now.
My question is, what all need to be changed? Thank you for all your help, if my question is answered in another post or thread, please redirect me, thanks again...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for jumping on this late post, I have a 1984 D30 1008, 4x4, and want to switch it to 12v, I would stay with 24v, but my "glow plug control module" went bad and decided to switch now.
My question is, what all need to be changed? Thank you for all your help, if my question is answered in another post or thread, please redirect me, thanks again...
It is by far much easier and cheaper to simply get a new GP controller card.

Contact SS member AntennaClimber
He makes and sells new production cards.
Very well made.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Welcome to the site. If you look at the top right corner of the page you can find a box labeled Google custom search, type in cucv 24v to 12v conversion. You will be amazed at how much information is in the archives here.I prefer 24/12v system because 24v draws half of the amperage as 12v.

Last edited:

Ctilander

Sorry, this is New for me, thank you very much
😁👍🏼

Welcome to the site. If you look at the top right corner of the page you can find a box labeled Google custom search, type in cucv 24v to 12v conversion. You will be amazed at how much information is in the archives here.I prefer 24/12v system because 24v draws half of the amperage as 12v.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome to the site. If you look at the top right corner of the page you can find a box labeled Google custom search, type in cucv 24v to 12v conversion. You will be amazed at how much information is in the archives here.

Actually, it's even easier than that. There's a whole write up on the Roscommon conversion in the Helpful Threads sticky.

I prefer 24/12v system because 24v draws half of the amperage as 12v.

Ctilander, there are folks on this site who will hammer you both ways on this. Read the material and make up your own mind. Some guys swear by a 12v conversion, some swear at it.

But rsh just pointed out something that is often overlooked with a 12v conversion. If you do convert, you should upgrade your cables for exactly the reason mentioned.

Another benefit to leaving it stock is that there is a ton of help for troubleshooting right here. Do the 12v, and there are fewer experienced folks to help you out.

But, as the 12v guys are fond of pointing out, Chevy diesels with 12v starters are out there by the millions, working just fine. So, either way is good.

But I will agree with Tinstar - a bad GP controller isn't a reason to convert. You'll still need some way to switch your GPs. If you don't have the controller card, you'll need a manual switch, and you can do that without ever touching the starter system. You just aren't going to solve a GP card problem by converting to 12v.

:drink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks