• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 454 Swap Problem

86camo1ton

Ok guys I have a 1986 CUCV that had the 6.2, 400 Turbo with NP205...... I didn't like the 6.2 so I bought a recently rebuild 454 out of a 1975 half ton 2 wheel drive truck.... I drove the truck.... I pulled the 6.2 and sold it.... I went to drop the 454 in place and the fuel pump hits (has the large canister big block pump)... I did a search on the NAPA site and all motor mounts (rubber insert part) is the same for 6.2, diesel, and 454 in 1986.... So now the question is what is different.... The clam shell (motor mount part that bolts to block) hits the frame towers before it can line up.... so either the clam shells are different or the towers are different.... Has anyone ran into this problem?
Thanks for any help... Deon

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCVs use the 1983 motor mounts gasser 350 mounts.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked in the Tech Manual for the GM part number?

The CUCVs use a different mount than the civvy units.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I had an 84 1/2 ton with the 6.2. Had a horrendous droning noise at 65MPH. Found out that the mounts on the frame were just heavily sagged to the point that the clamshell was hitting the frame. Replacing them moved the engine up at least an inch. Food for thought!

86camo1ton

Thanks

Have you looked in the Tech Manual for the GM part number?

The CUCVs use a different mount than the civvy units.
I just did a print out and I am going by the chevy dealer on my way home this evening and ask them to pull up a diagram from a 454 K30 and see what the difference is...
Thanks for the help ... Deon

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A previous post from Terracoma:

Use the GM part number from the Technical Manual, do not go with what is spec'd for the year/model.

Photo below shows the year/model mount (on the left) next to the correct mount, note the size difference.

GM 459021
NAPA 6021179
AutoZone 2292

CUCV Motor Mount.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

GM 459021 So are you saying that all 3 these are good replacement part numbers. Or are you just identifying the as they lay on the counter. I am unclear on your message.

K9Vic

I would highly suggest going with a Polyurethane motor mount insert from Energy Suppression over house brand. I replaced the ones in my 1998 Suburban that were house brand replacements by the previous owner with not many miles on them. Read too many stories about auto part store house brand mounts not lasting long, so I went with Polyurethane motor mounts. These are inserts, so you use the original steel from your old mounts.

This is the correct one per the GM part number 459021.
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3.1116

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM 459021 So are you saying that all 3 these are good replacement part numbers. Or are you just identifying the as they lay on the counter. I am unclear on your message.

The correct GM part number from the TM 9-2320-289-34P parts manual calls for the GM 459021 motor mount for both sides. However the mounting brackets are different for each side (normally not replaced)

The original poster was trying to say that all the listed numbers are for the correct item. The picture shows the too large of mount that the parts houses show to be correct but it is not. The smaller unit is the correct unit. Clear as mud??? ;-)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys I have a 1986 CUCV that had the 6.2, 400 Turbo with NP205...... I didn't like the 6.2 so I bought a recently rebuild 454 out of a 1975 half ton 2 wheel drive truck.... I drove the truck.... I pulled the 6.2 and sold it.... I went to drop the 454 in place and the fuel pump hits (has the large canister big block pump)... I did a search on the NAPA site and all motor mounts (rubber insert part) is the same for 6.2, diesel, and 454 in 1986.... So now the question is what is different.... The clam shell (motor mount part that bolts to block) hits the frame towers before it can line up.... so either the clam shells are different or the towers are different.... Has anyone ran into this problem?
Thanks for any help... Deon
I've installed more than a few big blocks without problems. Buy the correct fuel pump for the application. Motor mounts will work fine.

www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M4530/

Attachments

Last edited:

acesneights1

I've installed more than a few big blocks without problems. Buy the correct fuel pump for the application. Motor mounts will work fine.

www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M4530/
This/\
It's bee a number of years since I put a Big block in a sqaure body but I vaguely remember having to use a different fuel pump. You could even do a black off plate and go with electric although I am not a proponent of electric fuel pumps on gas motors with no safety shutoff.

llong66

86camo1ton, I agree with using the poly mounts. I went with a total suspension rebuild of my vette and went with all poly suspension, I love it! I would also consider an electric fuel pump with a regulator and as mentioned above, a safety shut off. Just my 2cents, but I really like the electric pump with a gasser setup. If you want to go with a different carb or other performance upgrades later, it will be easy to do.

Good luck!
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks