• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv 6.2 TH400 swap to 350

Shook

Hi guys
I have a good 6.2 diesel TH400 transmission. I have a bad TH350 on a 350. I am going to use the 350 in my truck and would like to use the good diesel TH400 trans...

What do I need to swap to get the diesel TH400 to fit my gas 350 engine?

The input shaft is longer on the diesel TH400. I've read that the gas 350 TH350 and TH400 torque converters are the same. Diesels are different. Can anyone help me out here.

Thanks,
Brian

mangus580

Brian, the 400 will bolt right up to your engine. Your issue is going to be the Tcase. What Tcase model do you have? What truck are we referring to?

Shook

Hi
Bolt pattern is the same I know bell housing wise but the diesel torque convertors are different. I checked the input shaft and they are not the same. Also the convertor stall speed is different, so I read.
I have both transfer cases so I will have no problem there.

I am putting this in my project M37 temperarily.

The good trans/transfer which is TH400 and NP208 is out of a M1009. I just need to know what to swap (pump and convertor) on the diesel TH400 to get the torque converter to flywheel to mount up. A diesel takes 6 converter bolts to the flywheel and a gas 350 has 3 bolts. I've heard you have to swap some stuff to do the swap, just don't know what.

I may have posted this in the wrong section but I thought maybe the cucv guys may know the answer.
I may have to end up calling a transmission shop.
Thanks,
Brian

mangus580

I am about 95% sure, that the Larger flexplate for the 350 engine should mate up to the diesel converter. You will only get 3 bolts in I think. I have a gas TC and a diesel flexplate outside, I could check tomorrow for you. (tonight if its not buried)

mangus580

Make that 100% sure. I just took the flex plate from my 6.2 - th400 combo, and it lined right up with the tranny out of my old gas pickup. You will just need to buy a flex plate (as I assume the diesel one wont fit, and the TH350 one wont fit)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Phew, when I first saw this thread title, I thought someone was trying to replace the 6.2L in their deuce with a 350. You guys who have been around for the last few days know what I'm talking about.

Now, to the topic at hand, I will have to concur with Mike as I have bolted up an ex-6.2L TH400 to a big block with no issues except the flex plate. I think the 6.2L TC is a little lower than a 350 right? I think I read 1400rpm somewhere vs 1800 for the 350? Or am I crazy?

Shook

Ok Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah the stall is lower for a diesel convertor or so I've read.

Are you guys refering to the deuce with the M1009 "axcels" on ebay or are you telling a inside joke?...
I don't mind mods if they make sense but that made no sense to me.

You said buried, buried in what? Snow?

Brian

mangus580

yeah, that was the joke, between that and someones desire to put a 6.2 and 700r4 in a deuce

buried under the back tire of a deuce :-D

actually I was able to get to it, wasnt sure where exactly the tranny was.

Shook

Re: RE: cucv 6.2 TH400 swap to 350

mangus580 said:
yeah, that was the joke, between that and someones desire to put a 6.2 and 700r4 in a deuce.

What were they thinking.... Maybe a cummins 6bt. I like the 6.2 but they are too whimpy for that job.

Anyway Thanks for your help.
Brian

gt1009

RE: Re: RE: cucv 6.2 TH400 swap to 350

it should fit in to the engine, but you may need to fabricate some mounts or something

countryboy

I am finishing up doing similar i had a 350 hooked to a sm465 the 350 bolted right up to the th400 all we changed was bought 350 motor mounts and everything wnet together just cant get it to run lacks fuel dont know if its something in carb or if its the fuel lines or something